RANT! (question #744)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right and when he refused to sign that last open carry bill I suppose that wouldnt have been good for anybody either. How about when he turned down the tax free gun purchasing weekends for OK?

I think you missed his point.

The point was Brad Henry was billed as the Education Governor. He's been on board with nearly any expansion and increased funding of the public education system.

When someone who take such strong positions FOR increases in education funding chooses to OPPOSE what is supposed to be the ultimate funding cake (with a little bit of Constitutional Amendment Icing), that's saying that there is DEFINITELY something wrong with State Question 744.

He caught nearly everyone off guard when he took that position, especially since the way he worded his position earlier in the year seemed to allude to taking a "soft" position for it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure the Brad Henry comment is in support of him, but more to say that if even Brad Henry (who campaigned on education and whose wife is a teacher) opposes said education spending bill then it HAS to be a bad deal.

Edit: Drats... too slow.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect I say this: When something has happened to you or a loved one and the response time for us to get to you goes from 5 min to 30 min I want you to remember that "the troopers took a hit for the team" and "OUR JOBS ARENT AS IMPORTANT AS EDUCATORS". Better yet if we arent as important we will send you a teacher for an emergency response. yes im being a little extreme on this but taking money from our law enforcement is the last thing we need to do.

Im sorry that your mother did not make much money. I agree with you that they need more pay for what they do but THIS IS THE WRONG AREA TO PICK FROM.
Careful now, the teachers might just release the students on the side of the road and let you deal with it too.:comfort:

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense taken, but that statement shows just how little you know about what goes on in each agency of the state. DPS trimmed their own budget without being forced (sorry, poor choice of words ... I should have said "without whining" ... I am pretty sure that there would have been no trimming if there had been no budget shortfall) to in order to avoid furloughs this last year. That still might not save DPS employees from furloughs next year.

I have some mighty fine friends who are teachers. Some of them are members of this board. When is the last time you heard of OSA trimming the budget. Nope. That's right ... all they do is whine and cry about how it is for the children.

That is BS ... it ain't for the children ... it is for the administrators who sit on their asses and "administrate" and for the teachers who teach because they are too lazy or stupid to do anything else.

I have nothing but respect for good, honest, hard-working teachers. But like JBTs, the good teachers are paying the price for the bad ones ...

Seems to be the way of the world anymore.
Trimming the budget on OSA or in public education? Anyway, amny districts did not get their raises this year, lost planning time, more work at home and weekends, and an increased class size due to the state suspending laws. Not sure but this all amounts to the same as people in the non-public education arena taking a pay decrease, more work, etc.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You kinda just made my point. Tax dollars from Logan County are spent in OKC every day to pay for junk like you linked to.

We can't seem to collect enough money to paint the hallways in our buildings...and a lot of property east of Guthrie is hard to sell in the Coyle District... but nobody seems to understand how to consolidate 100 kids out there into some sort of unified district with Guthrie.

Cashion does pretty well... but they have a Super who knows how to write grants for funding and brings in enough funds to pay for his district if the taxes are short. A lot of OK towns don't want the "strings" or just don't have administrators who know how- or want to - write grants.

It's not dollars... it's about the good sense to spend them wisely.
The reason to consolidate, put the man in Cashion in charge of a larger district.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am voting no also. My mom was a teacher for 30+ years and I know how little teachers make. She also had a master's degree.

But 744 is not the solution.

Totally agree. Not all teachers, actually very few, are for 744. I know i ave heard a few teachers make comment that if it passes then the state will be forced to realize how many unfunded mandates are pushed.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The truly crappy part of 744 is they aren't telling the public where the money will come from. I have heard from many higher up people, and many workers for the Department of Mental health is that they will take the majority of the money out of that department, which will basically dissolve it.
Not sure where the money is coming from, and more importantly how it will be spent.

Bruno2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The reason to consolidate, put the man in Cashion in charge of a larger district.

There is the same issue with Rogers county. They have a super for all of the mall town districts around Claremore and they could all operate under the same district to save money and improve the education standards at the same time.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It grows Government and will cost more money so i will vote no !! anything that grows government and or costs more money then it get a no in my vote

:thanku:

Like our state taking Obamafund stimilus money. By doing that we have in essence lost the ability to say no on a lot o things. Just like 744 will lead to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom