RANT! (question #744)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, this is quite a conundrum. If those positions paid more than they do, then it wouldn't be necessary for the government to offer incentives such as student loan forgiveness in order to attrack qualified applicants. If they didn't offer such incentives, many people could not afford to take the positions, and the law of supply and demand would require that the government offer more money. Eitherway, it's probably going to cost the taxpayer the same.

Do you object to the military repaying student loans?

/sorry for the thread-jacking. If I was still an Okie, I'd vote no.

I say it depends. Set a limit on the level of student loans that are "forgiven" or "repaid", however you want to word it. The reason is you don't need an Ivy League law degree to work in public service. Public service isn't about finding lawyers with a prestigious background, its about finding lawyers who will work for a quarter of what they're worth (or less).

I believe the military requires X years of service to qualify for a "repayment" program, no? Apply the same requirement. (If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm not familiar with that program although I hear a lot of ads for it.)

Baron Driver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say it depends. Set a limit on the level of student loans that are "forgiven" or "repaid", however you want to word it. The reason is you don't need an Ivy League law degree to work in public service. Public service isn't about finding lawyers with a prestigious background, its about finding lawyers who will work for a quarter of what they're worth (or less).

I believe the military requires X years of service to qualify for a "repayment" program, no? Apply the same requirement. (If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm not familiar with that program although I hear a lot of ads for it.)

Most of the programs require a number of years of service with the employee paying a certain percentage of the loan before the remainder is forgiven. It's not an automatic check when they give you a key to the office.

Edit: Even then, there is only X number of dollars to go around. You may get something, you may get nothing.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I started reading the first page.
I don't agree with robbing peter to pay paul.
BUT! Our kids are being dumbed down so bad by the current way the schools are being ran. Touchy feely BS is not how it happens in the real world.
Back in the day, we had kids in my class that committed suicide, and some killed in accidents, and it was sad to see an empty chair the next day, but we still went to class.
Now we have to have idiots that can't make it in the real world with a real job come in to "council" these kids???
Gimme a break.

they can kill a hundred people a day in their stupid video games. They are numb to death.

Reading Writing and Arithmetic is what the schools system need to get back to.
Teach these kids how to manage a check book, get a loan that is not upside down from the start, invest in the market, and foremost ..........

LEARN TO READ

If a kid can't read, they can't do any of the life skills above.....Read, Read, Read.

When somebody gets back to "education" of our children, I'll back it with my check book.
So far, neither side has a leg to stand on.....

If I've made you mad posting this KMA!!

Thank You! Lets get back to the basics of education and quit spending money on the crap, then and only then, tell me you need more money for education.

I know it is just a drop in the bucket of what is being spent, but do we really need the "flowcabulary" teaching tools they have been talking about on the news the past couple of nights? Give me a break! Jay-Z spilling some jibberish about the founding fathers of this country! This is the kind of stupid stuff the makes me wish I had the money to put my kid in private school. I'm all for a voucher system, let me decided, and take responsibility for, my child's education.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank You! Lets get back to the basics of education and quit spending money on the crap, then and only then, tell me you need more money for education.

I know it is just a drop in the bucket of what is being spent, but do we really need the "flowcabulary" teaching tools they have been talking about on the news the past couple of nights? Give me a break! Jay-Z spilling some jibberish about the founding fathers of this country! This is the kind of stupid stuff the makes me wish I had the money to put my kid in private school. I'm all for a voucher system, let me decided, and take responsibility for, my child's education.

Thank you! at least two of us understand how the education system should work.

swamp donkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just my two pennies here, but why are we cutting jobs in areas that provide valuable services in Oklahoma? why aren't we cutting some funds from the welfare group by only allowing them to stay on it for limited amounts of time? make it more like WIC where you can only buy approved items and certain amounts to cut the frivolous spending of our tax money on chips, candy and cokes at 7-11. how much money would that save the state that they could put towards education?

oh, and the downfall of our education has to do with tv and the internet exonorating the works of the stupid and portraying them as exciting and somehow "cool"

okgirl

Marksman
Reaction score
I believe education is important and that the system has a problem but SQ744 is NOT the answer. The education system already gets about 54% of the states annual budget. How would increasing that help students any? As someone on here has already mentioned we've already had our "Fix" for the education problem with the gambling, alcohol and tobacco tax, and the state lottery. Yet I'm here to tell you that when I was in HS (less than 5 yrs ago) we were on a paper ration because of how much the state had tightened our budget. Why would our funding decrease when there is a superintendent in Tulsa making over $200,000 a year. You want more funds? Cut down administrators and their pay. Teachers don't go into teaching for the pay. Teachers know exactly what kind of pay the are getting when they go to school to be one. If they don't then they should probably do a little more research into a career before deciding to major in it. If they cut down other agencies 20% more, not only will there be 8500 more criminals on the streets but there will be less law enforcement officers to keep up with all the crimes. The economy is already tight, and with Obama's new healthcare plan, raising taxes even more is going to seriously hurt a lot of Oklahomans.

Bruno2, I don't think you are looking at both sides here. You are so ready to just let the troopers get cut, but do you know how many troopers that would leave per county? In the RURAL part there's about four troopers per county if that. If you go firing 125 troopers that's going to leave probably two people per county. Two people are not going to able to respond 24/7. This isn't an exact estimate by all means but you get the idea that if you cut their numbers, their response time is going to be a lot longer. And this might not be a problem to you, but just remember if your wife, kids, mother, father, or even yourself is in emergency and they can't get there on time, it's YOUR fault because YOU voted to cut down their funding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom