Ruger 10 22 not what they used to be

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought 1022 on sale at ATWOODS for $169,00 runs like a champ on every thing . Bought new MK3 had to pull the trigger two times to drop the hammer every time i put in loader magazine. sent to Ruger they said fired it 75 times no malfuction . loaded it up stepped out back door. pulled trigger nothing pulled it again went bang. Tore it down . The ends on the spring for the magazine disconnect were backwards . poked end through center loop. & it still works great.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got an Atwoods one a couple years ago on sale and it jammed before it could empty the magazine and I had
tried more than 7 different types of ammo in it.
On paper at 60 yards the target was disappointing for a hyped up rifle.
My old model 60 would group 3x tighter and my Squiars Bingham M16 .22 shoots as tight as the model 60.
I traded my New Ruger 10-22 off.
I do not miss it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought two about four years ago, one for me and one for my grandson. Neither would run a mag through them without jamming. Very frustrating. Bolt felt like it was running over gravel when working it. Finish inside the receiver was terrible even had what looked like paint runs.
QC is apparently non-existent
I remember your issues with that rifle. Hope you got it fixed.
I bought one of the laminated stock SS action and barrel that Ruger Built for Walmart back in the 90's. It had issues from day one but is was not a gun that was shot very often so it stayed in the safe.
Won a Nordic "tactical" stock at a match so moved the action to the new stock with intentions of using it as a loaner for anybody that wanted to start steel challenge matches at our range before actually buying something.
It is still just not reliable enough with quality ammo to run in a match.
That being said, a guy from OKC won the world speed shooting championship back 10 years or so ago with a birch stocked ,22 Ruger.
Shot against him many times at the OKC gun range after. He was fast.

shoe337

Marksman
Reaction score
I got one for Christmas in 1981 and I have no idea how many trouble free rounds have gone through it. My parents gave $75 for it. I did not take care of it when I was younger so in 90's when everyone was putting bull barrels and new stocks on I bought a new takeoff barrel and stock and it is good as new to this day. I bought 2 for my sons in the late 90's and one for my Granddaughter in 2018. Hers has not been shot yet so I assume it will be problematic.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda fond of Ruger rimfires. 3 on top are unfired.
IMG_20220322_100900089~2.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must have lucked out. I bought a 50th anniversary 10/22 VLEH target tactical a few years back and it has been wonderful. No issues or failures, and can produce groups good enough to almost keep up with my CZ457. The "upgraded trigger" isn't all that great, but I haven't gotten around to ponying up the cash to buy a new trigger group.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had and have standard, sporter, bull barrel, takedown, international stock and charger and never had a problem with any of them. They have functioned with every brand of ammo I have tried.

Latest posts

Top Bottom