Speaking of spaghetti...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This^
Hunts Garlic Spaghetti Sauce is highly underrated. Outside of the making your own, it is the best bang for the buck. Our go to which is better but much more expensive is Raos
The one thing about it is they keep shrinking the can to keep it a $1. That’s my only gripe. I’ve seen it shrink at least twice in the last 10 years.

I’ll have to look out for the Raos and give it a try.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one thing about it is they keep shrinking the can to keep it a $1. That’s my only gripe. I’ve seen it shrink at least twice in the last 10 years.

I’ll have to look out for the Raos and give it a try.
Costco is the most affordable place for Raos. I think you get two large jars for ~$9.00. At other stores I have seen them charge almost that for one smaller jar.
My wife is a clean eater so the Raos is her favorite due to the quality of ingredients.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for Rao's. Sorry, but I don't think I can even try a spaghetti/marinara sauce from a can even with a couple of you giving Hunt's a good review. I'll have to look for Rao's at CostCo because it's generally $7-9 for a jar at Crest or Walmart.

We have stewed/canned Italian tomatoes to make our own but does take quite a bit longer having to simmer it down.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My stepson likes Ragu. It taste more like marinara to me. Too sweet. I prefer mine more of a garlic taste. My favorite is definitely Hunts garlic.
Not a fan of a to much garlic, and the wife can not eat it if it does have it. (she sleeps in a coffin too) The Ragu Simply is not as sweet and we both like it better that the regular Ragu.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say you make your own and it takes almost as long as popping it out of a can I’m guessing everything else is coming out of a can?

Boiling tomatoes and skinning tomatoes chopping up onions, celery, garlic and peppers, stewing it all and then blending it. It takes a little longer then plopping it out of a can.

I was a bachelor for 40 years and I like keeping things simple. I can cook if I need to but simple is better. Just like the military taught me. Keep it simple and quick. I’m not trying to impress anybody. Im old, fat and slow now
The only thing that comes out of a can is the tomatoes. I've tried the whole stewing tomatoes from scratch thing and honestly, couldn't beat the flavor or San Marzano tomatoes from the can. Everything else is done by hand. This is the recipe I usually start with and then always add my own twist to it depending on how I feel that day. I also use this to make a really good, simple sauce for cast iron pizza as well.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/homemade-marinara-sauce/
BTW: I was MOSTLY joking about using store bought marinara. Not so much joking about Hunt's, but that's personal preference. 😂
I'll admit, it does help that I work from home and I like to cook, so even if a recipe will take all day to make, I can usually work around it since I'm here anyway.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fan of a to much garlic, and the wife can not eat it if it does have it. (she sleeps in a coffin too) The Ragu Simply is not as sweet and we both like it better that the regular Ragu.
Oh man, if my wife were not able to eat garlic I'm pretty sure that we would have divorced a LONG time ago. I put garlic in just about everything and I put STUPID amounts of it in a lot of things. 😁

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, if my wife were not able to eat garlic I'm pretty sure that we would have divorced a LONG time ago. I put garlic in just about everything and I put STUPID amounts of it in a lot of things. 😁
I married a redhead, she makes up for it in other ways. :naughty:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...can't have enough. I'm a big fan of flavor.
The only thing that I could do without is the excess amounts of salt. Most food doesn't need exorbitant amounts of salt, but people will be throwing salt all over food like they're Gordon Ramsey and call it "seasoning".

Latest posts

Top Bottom