Speaking of spaghetti...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guilty of using Hunt's as the base of my sauce. However, I add beef bullion, garlic, onions, mushrooms, petite diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Simmer it all day with the meatballs taking a bath (after they've been cooked). It tastes nothing like Hunt's out of the can.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The only thing that comes out of a can is the tomatoes. I've tried the whole stewing tomatoes from scratch thing and honestly, couldn't beat the flavor or San Marzano tomatoes from the can. Everything else is done by hand. This is the recipe I usually start with and then always add my own twist to it depending on how I feel that day. I also use this to make a really good, simple sauce for cast iron pizza as well.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/homemade-marinara-sauce/
BTW: I was MOSTLY joking about using store bought marinara. Not so much joking about Hunt's, but that's personal preference. 😂
I'll admit, it does help that I work from home and I like to cook, so even if a recipe will take all day to make, I can usually work around it since I'm here anyway.
these days, my go to is the half home made alla panna sauce.

start with diced red onion and minced garlic sauteed in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil. then add a can of diced tomato with the juice. simmer until softened, then add a jar of alfredo sauce. yes, you can make alfredo sauce just about as quick and easy as marinara, but for me i will just dump a jar of this. always use some milk in the jar to get the remaining alfredo, then whisk that up and continue to simmer. get out the immersion blender for some quick pulses and you've got a somewhat homemade pink sauce that is less heartburn than straight marinara, and imo better taste than an alfredo or red sauce alone.

for me the big thing on jarred red sauces are the insane amount of added sugar. once you make your own, the sweetness of the onion and tomato is more than enough; you start to taste that added sugar and you can't untaste it. probably haven't used a jar of marinara or salsa in years, just too easy and cheaper for me to make my own. takes 20 minutes for the frozen meatballs (yeah yeah, making my own meatballs would be even better but i ain't got time for that too!) to air fry and the water/pasta to boil. that's about right to whip up a pink sauce.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my "Italian" and "Mexican" canned goods cabinet. Cans are filled to the back of the cabinet.

IMG_2132.JPG

With all my add-ins to the Hunt's, I've found that the flavor of the sauce really doesn't change the end product.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my "Italian" and "Mexican" canned goods cabinet. Cans are filled to the back of the cabinet.

View attachment 267704

With all my add-ins to the Hunt's, I've found that the flavor of the sauce really doesn't change the end product.
What kind Psycho has a pantry that organized, geez… :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom