The Open Carry Battle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Open Carry (Good Example)
b7b73047031969f98f01f46e81a74933.jpg

Open Carry (Bad Example)
f7746d48526e3b45bc90f13a53da57b9.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is about the same kind of argument as 9mm vs 45. I’ve heard it more times than I care to remember. I haven’t heard of a single issue where someone that was OC was capped by a bad guy. As Clay said, criminals are cowards that prey on the weak and defenseless. They don’t want confrontation. I’m not saying that this scenario couldn’t happen but The likelihood is slim. I don’t OC that much but I do sometimes. I don’t do it to act tough or to draw attention to myself. I do it because I have the right. Another thing, if OC will cause a bad guy to kill you first for OC then why aren’t there cops being capped daily? It doesn’t make a difference if they are a cop or not, they still carry openly. The whole “element of surprise” idea is silly to me too. As was already said, criminals look for defenseless people. If they don’t think you are a threat you could be hurt or worse. The problem is our culture in this country. If a lot of people carried openly all the time we could show the haters that it isn’t a bad thing. Take a look at Israel. It’s the norm to see folks carrying openly. But here some people act like two years olds when they see a gun. The only way to change our culture is for more people to openly carry.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This, that I’ve highlighted in bold and underlined for my own emphasis. Maybe I speak for myself under my own account but if I was a criminal looking to hold up a particular convenient store and I saw that 3 or 4 out of the 5 or 6 people standing in line were carrying a visible sidearm, I think I’d pass that place up and find an easier place to rob.

Or go gun shopping from them while there.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Open carry would definitely be a deterrent IF alot more people were doing it.
And the plain fact is, all criminals are cowards and dont want confrontation.
Period, they see a gun and shy off to the next "soft" target.

I agree with you as far as the average criminal is concerned, but maybe not so much with the case of the deranged bad guy who just wants to kill as many as he can. He sees you open carrying; you become a "first target"...IMO of course.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing, if OC will cause a bad guy to kill you first for OC then why aren’t there cops being capped daily? It doesn’t make a difference if they are a cop or not, they still carry openly.

It does happen. But they also wear bp vests. Not saying your argument for OC is wrong, but this analogy is.

OC to me is just uncouth. I prefer people not realize that I have a firearm on me. But that is just my opinion. I see the merit in the oc makes you a target argument. Not to mention I could see some anti-gun lefty snowflake calling in and stating a man with a gun is in wal-mart and pulled it on her. Or just being in the wrong spot when the 5-0 rolls up and they instantly see you as a threat. *shrug* Like I said, my own opinion but I prefer CC over OC.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" The only way to change our culture is for more people to openly carry."

From my original posting:

"I was in Tuscon AZ area about 20 years ago and saw someone with a large frame revolver holstered in a convenience store and no one seemed alarmed at all. They have been use to open carry for a very long time so the general public is use to seeing open carry."

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Open Carry has been legal in some form here since 2012. What battle are we talking about?

Do we need Don to hold another battle-rally?

Latest posts

Top Bottom