Video: Citizen is detained for open carry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is several of the cases he quoted are simply favorable rulings not established caselaw.

He also misapplies Terry V. Ohio for reasons that we have discussed ad nauseum on this forum.

Personally I wouldn't have been as intimidated as the officer and his supervisor were in this case.

Some may see this incident as a victory, much in the same way that the O.J. Simpson acquittal was a "victory" for some segments of the population, but I think both see that in the long run it doesn't mean anything and simply prepares the other party to deal more effectively the next time around.

Michael Brown

Which could really be seen as a victory for the officer no? Anything that better prepares an officer for the next day is a good thing in my book.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video, and I'm not sure I will.

However, I would think it is entirely possible to be both an activist in my rights, but be courteous to those who are either uneducated, or in opposition to them.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These guys who open carry in areas where they know they'll be stopped without reason and they film it to let the public know what's going on and for their own protection. If the camera wasn't on the ready, it would be his word against the cop as to how he acted. The cop was obviously perturbed that the citizen didn't bow to his requests so could have said whatever he wanted to push his authority with no camera.

It's easy to look at these guys as trouble makers. However, Tulsa PD has already said they will be stopping and checking permits on those seen OCing. This is just a way to inconvenience you into giving up your right. Let's say you're on the way out of town to go hunting and have your gun at OC, stop by the Quik Trip and a cop pulls up and inconveniences you for 30 min over it. From that point on, you'd welcome those guys with noting else to do but walk around documenting this sort of thing. Until they make it specific in the SDA that officers can't stop just to check a permit, this will be happening in Oklahoma.

Also, why doesn't anyone ever say that cops are out looking for trouble when they record traffic stops? But when a citizen records a stop he's looking for trouble. Doesn't make sense to me. I haven't been pulled over in years but last time I was, the cop was an a$$. I was driving too fast and deserved a ticket but did pull right over and really didn't say more than 5 words to the guy but curse words seemed to be the main adjective in his vocabulary. He didn't violate my rights but his supervisor really needed to hear how he deals with the public. I now have a mount for my phone in my car and a recorder is one of the aps on my home screen. Haven't needed it yet but next time I get pulled over, I'll start the recorder as soon as I get pulled over.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how long till we start getting detained for carrying opposable thumbs?

I haven't watched the video, and I'm not sure I will.

However, I would think it is entirely possible to be both an activist in my rights, but be courteous to those who are either uneducated, or in opposition to them.

How about those who violate them, not just "uneducated/opposed"?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not to mention putting ME (the OCer) in physical danger by exhibiting poor gun safety while illegally disarming me? :D

I for one welcome the videographers of those who violate our rights.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Notice I didn't say bow to their requests without question. Just to be courteous in our actions. Remember, the media (and all opposition) anxiously awaits the opportunity to paint us as fanatical nut jobs. We need to spend the few "five minutes of fame" we get convincing the sheeple that we are level headed, responsible citizens that believe strongly in all freedoms... including that enumerated in the second amendment.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best I can figure out is that unless you have a justifiable need to open carry you are considered an activist.

Michael

I dont agree with this at all, in fact a right pretty much means the exact opposite. You dont need any justification or reasoning to exercise a right in an appropriate fashion. Who decides if its "justifiable", the cops, politicians, or the citizens?

If your view was correct I would love to see tabloids and people with big mouths to put a cork in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom