Well we can scratch Wilshire gun off the list...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with Wilshire guns, but I didn't see them specifically say they supported mandatory training (maybe I missed it). However, this doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing issue, which is the same worldview that leads to outright bans.

Shall not be infringed is pretty much an all or nothing statement.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with YukonGlocker. I listened and didn't hear anything about mandatory training to own a firearm.

Many of those who have been in the "gun culture" and are shooters may be missing the fact that there are A LOT of people buying guns who think that because the watched the first three seasons of "Justified" their new pocket auto will be as easy to use as the camera on their iPhone.

With that said, I don't think they were saying that our "shall not be infringed right" should require training anymore than if someone were to say "you shouldn't carry a gun for self defense unless you have run at least 500 rounds through it" would be "infringing" on our rights. Not required but probably the prudent thing to do.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many of those who have been in the "gun culture" and are shooters may be missing the fact that there are A LOT of people buying guns who think that because the watched the first three seasons of "Justified" their new pocket auto will be as easy to use as the camera on their iPhone.

With that said, I don't think they were saying that our "shall not be infringed right" should require training anymore than if someone were to say "you shouldn't carry a gun for self defense unless you have run at least 500 rounds through it" would be "infringing" on our rights. Not required but probably the prudent thing to do.
It can start with the FFL making sure that the person buying the gun understands what they are getting into. They need to know the possible severity of their actions. In fact, if a person who's never owned a gun before asks you about buying one, what would you say? Hell, at one point my youngest daughter asked me about buying a gun for self-defense. I put it to her flatly--first answer this question: would you be able to take someone's life if the need arises? She decided she couldn't bear that, so she didn't buy a gun.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From Wilshire Gun's Facebook page ....

Wilshire Gun

Yesterday at 9:56am ·

CLARIFICATION: What Wilshire Gun believes, and I am sure you would agree, is that if you want to carry a firearm, you should train with that firearm. Not mandatory training, just we advise our customers to train. We would like everyone in the state that isn't a felon to have the ability to carry however they want, we just think training is a big part of that. If this law passes, we will still say training is very important. We don't want people to think just carrying a gun makes them safe. They need to know how to use it as well. We aren't against the law, we are FOR training for anyone that wants to carry.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't have a God given right to carry a firearm. We have a constitutional right to do so.
All that being said, there are a lot of folks out there that need serious training.
You can stand on your soap box a scream constitution all day long, but the rest of the population has a right to not be shot by a gun owner that doesn't know how to load it.
Stupidity rules among a lot of new and some older gun owners.
Buy your gun as you have the right to do, and at least look up somebody that knows which direction the bullets go into the mag, and train with them.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From Wilshire Gun's Facebook page ....

Wilshire Gun

Yesterday at 9:56am ·

CLARIFICATION: What Wilshire Gun believes, and I am sure you would agree, is that if you want to carry a firearm, you should train with that firearm. Not mandatory training, just we advise our customers to train. We would like everyone in the state that isn't a felon to have the ability to carry however they want, we just think training is a big part of that. If this law passes, we will still say training is very important. We don't want people to think just carrying a gun makes them safe. They need to know how to use it as well. We aren't against the law, we are FOR training for anyone that wants to carry.

They can't even crawfish good. Someone said earlier in the thread something about being quiet. Yea that would probably be a good idea for the folks at Wilshire.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't have a God given right to carry a firearm. We have a constitutional right to do so.
There are those who would argue otherwise ... "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence" - United States v. Cruikshank (1876)

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"mandatory,"was never used but "require" and "requirement," were used a couple of times.
Is there a definition of "requirement," that means it's optional?

Latest posts

Top Bottom