Why didn't anyone warn me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired pre-pandemic and have developed a few side gigs to keep me busy. Plus my gardens I enjoy. Wife still works, mostly because they pay her so much and she gets to work from home.

Anyway back on subject. I cooked breakfast a couple of times and the next you know it’s my daily task now.

Here’s this morning’s menu. Breakfast tacos.

Yellow corn tortillas
Hashbrowns
Sausage
Garden raised tomatoes, onions, & peppers.
Today it was spinach, most of the time I use packaged cole slaw lettuce

Mine usually has jalapeños and some spicy sauce or salsa

IMG_5995.jpeg

Anyway she cooked for me and the kids for years so I don’t mind much.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The whole Blackstone griddle surge was based on the results of an All-woman panel….. had to be, all I do now is go out on the deck and cook on my new Blackstone while wife and grown daughter sit in A/C and scroll thru their phones…..
Fishin, I agree! It's not like we can let them cook outside! Then they will see that us running the smoker or the grill is just an excuse to drink beer! My problem is that when things really start cooking, there ain't time to run for a second drink!

I am not complaining. Got my 22 inch folded up and in the back of the truck to head off to Natural Falls this afternoon after work. It was easier than loading the coolers. (no, I did not know it was the 50th anniversary on of "Where the Red Fern Grows on Friday till a week after we made the reservations..)

My wife did probably about 80% of the cooking up till this, and the kitchen got hot, the stove got used, and then I wound up doing the dishes. (the one who cooks does not clean.)

My only complaint thus far.....didn't get a bigger one, but it loads up to go camping so easily! Even got the extra hose to connect to the camper so I don't have to carry extra propane (1 lb. or 20 lb. bottles.) I even threw some egg rings into my "go bag" for the Blackstone.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I love to cook when I can. Grilling, cooking, working with fresh fruits/veggies. What I don’t really do is baking. I don’t much like following recipes, mostly treat them as guidelines or starting points. That doesn’t work with baking.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired pre-pandemic and have developed a few side gigs to keep me busy. Plus my gardens I enjoy. Wife still works, mostly because they pay her so much and she gets to work from home.

Anyway back on subject. I cooked breakfast a couple of times and the next you know it’s my daily task now.

Here’s this morning’s menu. Breakfast tacos.

Yellow corn tortillas
Hashbrowns
Sausage
Garden raised tomatoes, onions, & peppers.
Today it was spinach, most of the time I use packaged cole slaw lettuce

Mine usually has jalapeños and some spicy sauce or salsa

View attachment 487314

Anyway she cooked for me and the kids for years so I don’t mind much.
That looks good! I am learning so much! Like making pizza, on a griddle, outside. It is interesting! I guess we need to start a whole Blackstone recipe thread.

I keep meaning to take pictures of what we cook, but then everything starts coming together and it is FAST!

We have a 20" blackstone griddle and an 22" pellet stove we take in our RV. Both are used as each has their own purpose. Even made smoked ribs on the blackstone griddle that won a little competition among our group.
I retired three years before the wife and couldn't see not taking over the cooking.
Actually, enjoy it. My parents had my sister and I make breakfast after Church when she was 9 and I was 8. Stood on wood boxes to get high enough.
There is so much information and recipes on the internet currently, that it's impossible to not be a good cook.

Dennis, ok, I am going to have to find the smoked ribs, and surprise my wife with them one day! That sounds good.

My mom's idea of me learning to cook was grilled cheese and scrambled eggs. I luckily had a great friend when I went to OSU for that one year who taught me how to cook some. My ex-wife was a horrible cook, and she hated anything I made except on the grill, so I never really learned anymore, until I got divorced.

I have a round dome and a square dome, and both are about the same size (13 inches.) I need to get the smaller square domes since it is a 22 inch griddle. Doesn't leave a lot of room to cook anything else when using the dome. Thinking my wife will keep me.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My blackstone story.

My wife bought me a ‘Beer of the Month’ membership for Christmas.

5 months later after not getting any beer or responses to her email inquiries she put a hold on payment.

This resulted in them calling her. 😁

They informed her they couldn’t ship to Oklahoma. Which she responded to refund her freaking money then. Which they begrudgingly did.

A month later a giant ass Blackstone Grill arrives from Amazon. Now I’m the proud owner of one and am expected to happily fire up on demand.
😂🤣😆

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My blackstone story.

My wife bought me a ‘Beer of the Month’ membership for Christmas.

5 months later after not getting any beer or responses to her email inquiries she put a hold on payment.

This resulted in them calling her. 😁

They informed her they couldn’t ship to Oklahoma. Which she responded to refund her freaking money then. Which they begrudgingly did.

A month later a giant ass Blackstone Grill Ariives from Amazon. Now I’m the proud owner of one and am expected to happily fire up on demand.
😂🤣😆
We get wine shipped here from CA - not sure why beer would be any different unless this was a while back before OK changed it's laws. Not sure exactly when the law changed but recall reading about some 'visitors' from France who's rental car broke down or something along those lines. Some kind OK folks helped them out. In turn, they shipped a couple of nice bottles of Bordeaux which got intercepted by the post office and promptly destroyed. In hindsight, it might have been given to pstmstr and he wined/dined/poked an unsuspecting OSA member one night! :)

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A month later a giant ass Blackstone Grill arrives from Amazon. Now I’m the proud owner of one and am expected to happily fire up on demand.
😂🤣😆
It's that happily fire up on demand that I see the problem with! They think we are some kind of robot or something and all we are good for is cooking and extracurricular marital activities! I mean our arms are longer so we don't to stand as close to the griddle to do the cooking, keeping our fronts from getting burnt.

I do have to say it is a heckuva lot easier to clean up after cooking on it than a set of pots and pans.

I have, and continue to tell my wife it was a great investment.

Some kind OK folks helped them out. In turn, they shipped a couple of nice bottles of Bordeaux which got intercepted by the post office and promptly destroyed. In hindsight, it might have been given to pstmstr and he wined/dined/poked an unsuspecting OSA member one night! :)
Is wine considered an intoxicant? I know 3.2 beer was considered a non-intoxicating beverage. Or it could be like buying prescriptions from Canada and wine is considered medicinal.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We get wine shipped here from CA - not sure why beer would be any different unless this was a while back before OK changed its laws. Not sure exactly when the law changed but recall reading about some 'visitors' from France whose rental car broke down or something along those lines. Some kind OK folks helped them out. In turn, they shipped a couple of nice bottles of Bordeaux which got intercepted by the post office and promptly destroyed. In hindsight, it might have been given to pstmstr and he wined/dined/poked an unsuspecting OSA member one night! :)
Not sure what the problem was. Pretty sure it wasn’t a legal issue. Probably more a moron issue.

Rumor was there was at least a couple vineyards in California that didn’t care about the legalities way before Oklahoma changed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom