Another First AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here's what I have so far. The upper is still empty.

ai113.photobucket.com_albums_n214_truckmann_gun_IMG00183.jpg

ai113.photobucket.com_albums_n214_truckmann_gun_IMG00184.jpg

and here is roughly what I would like to get too.
ai113.photobucket.com_albums_n214_truckmann_gun_2uh5r44.jpg

Who wants to help me and make some suggestions on where to get the rest of the parts?

Being new at this my head is hurting at looking through the different options and websites. I don't have much money to burn and it's not going to be for competition or anything so I would like to get it finished without spending a fortune. Any and all input is appreciated! :patriot:

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would you think of a retro built withcolt parts except for the barrel, it would be the same barrel that you have in the picture but you would have to have it finished either blued or what erver you wanted. The bolt and carrier would be a Colt M16 or Rock River your choice The hand guards would be triagular. Just a thought.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say either go with a bushy super light weight barrel, a Colt pencil barrel, or wait for the BCM light weight that's coming. Fast handling AR's are the way to go unless you're looking for heavy duty use and longevity.

I'd definitely go with BCM for the BCG.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BCM on the BCG for sure, but hit these guys up for a barrel:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-16-M4-Carbine-Gas-Barrel-stripped-p/dd 9060.htm

Best deal in the AR-15 world right now.

I'd go with a Quad rail at that point - when you look at the price difference between that and handguards, you're not spending a whole lot more to go with a Yankee Hill or MI for now and go back later and upgrade to a better set.

If you think that's a good deal, check out MAS Gunworks in Moore. They have a GREAT price on barrels!

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say either go with a bushy super light weight barrel, a Colt pencil barrel, or wait for the BCM light weight that's coming. Fast handling AR's are the way to go unless you're looking for heavy duty use and longevity.

I'd definitely go with BCM for the BCG.

A smaller relatively light weight AR is the direction I was looking to go, with at least a 16" barrel to stay out of the SBR category. I'll look into the prices of the ones you suggest, funds are a little tight right now but I want to get this thing built finally since I waited a year to get this far...lol
and thanks for everyone's input on the BCG to get.

What would you think of a retro built withcolt parts except for the barrel, it would be the same barrel that you have in the picture but you would have to have it finished either blued or what erver you wanted. The bolt and carrier would be a Colt M16 or Rock River your choice The hand guards would be triagular. Just a thought.

The retro build sounds interesting. Not sure if I care much for the triangular handgaurds or not but might be interesting in carbine length. I don't think I have the extra money to spend on a decent set of rails right now anyway and that is something that can be changed later on easy enough.

How does the Colt M16 BCG compare to the BCM brand that everyone is suggesting. Also what are the details and price on the barrel your talking about?

Thanks for the input thus far guys!

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stag makes an upper like the one in the picture you posted. I'd think about just buying a complete upper and selling that stripped one you have.

truckmann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stag makes an upper like the one in the picture you posted. I'd think about just buying a complete upper and selling that stripped one you have.
The picture was just a half arsed example not something I was trying to match 100%. However, I had thought about trying to do like you suggested, but if possible I think I would like to use the upper I have unless it's going to end up costing me to much extra to do it. I guess I'm not sure what the pros and cons are of getting a complete built upper vs. using the one I have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom