Anyone buy a new car in Texas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking on Auto trader it seems that new cars in the okc area are priced a lot more then they are in Texas. Is there a penalty for running down to Texas to get a better deal and bringing it back to Ok.?

I'm guessing as long as you register it in OK. and pay Ok. the taxes it shouldn't matter where you bought it.

How about if you see a car in Texas at a great price, can you just go to your local dealer and ask them to get the car for you at that price and maybe add the shipping cost?

I'm not sure how it works if you find the car you want and your dealer doesn't have what you are wanting. Yes they can order it but why if the one you want is less then 200 miles away.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to check truecar.com. I found the least expensive place to buy a Toyota was in Colorado Springs, even with the flight. I always thought Dallas was cheaper until I started checking different zip codes with truecar. Also I asked for the best out the door price with each dealer when I was price shopping. I found the best price and went and bought it. Everything was negotiated and agreed to via email.

You just buy the vehicle in whatever state and do not pay any taxes. You pay excise tax in OK when you register and tag it.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll 2nd what DPI posted. We wanted the option on our Rav4 that omitted the spare tire on the back door and the closest dealer that had it was in Joplin Mo. Drove up and bought it and paid the OK tax & when we returned.

M_Ridgeway

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If buying privately used you may have to do a vin inspection at the dmv, they just check the vin plaque against the title. Other than that just pay ok ttl and you'll be gtg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom