Anyone buy all their vehicles in CL or online?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally buy older stuff and try to find something that is one or two owner with maintenance records.

My issue is, people don’t reply! I ask a question. Get a one word response. Ask another, no reply. I see the ad get updated and the price dropped at the same time. I have cash and I’m ready to buy but I think this person has decided I’m a “tire kicker”.

Do you have to deal with weird people to get a deal? Or should you just let it go?
I have bought from individuals mostly. Recently I’ve learned to ask if they have a clear title in their name as step 1. It weeds out a lot of the shady characters.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 cylinder. 130k miles. I asked if the timing belt had been replaced and heard nothing else. I kinda get the feeling it’s one of those easily annoyed people that thinks a question means you’re going to lowball.
They will tell you it has but never have proof.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must be a tick younger than I am.
I really expected more mustangs and at least a couple camaro's or Datsun Z cars.

Looks like you had the market cornered on the Trucks.
I have not had very many trucks.
My cars did my hauling with trailer in tow and my first truck was purchased when I was 17.
Gave my dad's fishing/hunting buddy 700 for his 1947 Dodge truck.
My girlfriend got pregnant a few months later and I sold that truck to my fishing/hunting buddy.

One day 10 years later I came home from work and that 1947 Dodge was in the driveway.
My wife bought it from my buddy for a birthday present to me.
Gave him 900 for it.

I still have it and was offered $35,000 for it 10 years ago and told the guy it is not for sale.
Others have offered over 20K for it.
NOT FOR SALE.

Do you have any of those Not for sale vehicles?

I hope this round for the 47 will at least do a little wheelie.

I volunteer to be a flunky crew member!! When you get it ready!

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along the same lines....
When shopping for older vehicles - local deals - what websites do you search?
Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and ???

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i treat CL like i treat this website: if i am *interested* i am better off indicating to the seller that i am *ready with cash in hand*.

*interested* or *have questions* gives off an impression of not a serious buyer, just say "i have your money that i am willing to give you" and don't mention the questions until you get there. if they moan about it, it is what it is.

i have "won" deals here when i wasn't first in line by just saying "i will pay you for this right now" instead of something a little less up front. even if you aren't 100% interested, giving off the impression that you are is always to your advantage i feel like.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i treat CL like i treat this website: if i am *interested* i am better off indicating to the seller that i am *ready with cash in hand*.

*interested* or *have questions* gives off an impression of not a serious buyer, just say "i have your money that i am willing to give you" and don't mention the questions until you get there. if they moan about it, it is what it is.

i have "won" deals here when i wasn't first in line by just saying "i will pay you for this right now" instead of something a little less up front. even if you aren't 100% interested, giving off the impression that you are is always to your advantage i feel like.
I think you’re right. The poor communication is amazing to me though. Everyone has dealt with it I’m sure. Anything is better than dealing with a dealer!

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I think you’re right. The poor communication is amazing to me though. Everyone has dealt with it I’m sure. Anything is better than dealing with a dealer!
yeah i mean some people just legit don't have the gift of gab and only respond with one word answers. they don't see anything wrong with this.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i will say facebook marketplace if you have it might be better than craigslist these days. i don't have the facebook but i use my gf's account to browse it every now and then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom