AR BCG wont go either direction!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd try hitting it with a soft face hammer. Something is screwed, but aluminum is way softer than the steel on the BCG. Worst case the upper is ruined. Start light and increase in firmness of the whack as you feel comfortable. See what it does.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a new one for me. Like Dustin said. I'd start with gentle taps with a soft hammer and see if it dislodges. I'm curious to know what's going on and how it's going to turn out.

Hig

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Negative. The upper isn't hung on the hammer. The "eye" for lack of a better term (through which the take down pin goes at the rear of the gun) cannot move forward in the lower enough to allow the lower to slide off of the back of the BCG. Hard to explain but the BCG prevents the lower from rocking down and the "eye" prevents the lower from moving straight backwards.

Ok, I got ya, I went home and pulled my spikes lower out to look at it better.

At this point I would verify the gas tube is OK, and rap the back of the carrier with a plastic dead blow or wood/plastic mallet in the forward direction. What ever is screwed is screwed, hopefully it's something that will break free (debris) if not it could be a locked bolt.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it won't move forward or backwards I would verify that the buffer detent and spring is not holding it up and then I would be concerned about the gas key being loose causing the hang up. If it is, a bigger hammer is your only hope.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been trying to help him over the phone and instant message (currently in Seattle due to work.)

I initially thought it was his buffer detent pin. He has been able to remove his detent and spring, so those items are not the culprit. He says the gas tube is not bent. He is able to pull on the charging handle to pull the bcg all the way back to lock back. However, when released the BCG will not move past an inch forward. He describes it as more of a hard stop rather than a grinding stop and pushing on the forward assist will not move the bcg any farther forward.

The only thing I can think of is that his gas key is F'd up. It either became lose, or mangle or bent and is what's possibly causing the BCG from going any farther forward from 1" away from lockback. Either that or it's a hardcore stoppage with a piece of primer or piece of brass. He was not able to retrieve the spent brass casing for inspection.

If you look on the pic, the BCG is stuck all the way in the open position. It's about 1" away from full bolt lockback. Initially, this screamed popped buffer detent, but he was able to remove it and the buffer is still stuck.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At this point, I think I will have a professional Smith look at it, then contact Spikes before I knock on it. The round count on this upper is less than 100!
I want to see if Spikes will replace anything that gets F'd in this process. It is and was complete from them after all. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Top Bottom