AR BCG wont go either direction!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two sets of springs and detents back there with the stock and receiver extension removed: Are you sure both are out of the way?

Take down pin spring and detent

AND

The buffer retaining pin and spring.

I'd start by putting the lower completely back on the upper, put the takedown and pivot back in. having it hanging by the rear takedown pin is going to cause binding. You are going to have to get rough with it.

Inspect for springs/pins, then tap the rear of the bolt forward

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
stop ***** footing around wiht it. snap that lower back in place, extend your charging handle to where it makes contact with the bcg, place your rifle firmly on the floor barrel facing up, now push down or kick downward with your boot and the bcg will pop loose. It will come loose.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do this

Remove the grip.
Remove the safety
Remove the hammer pin and hammer.
Remove the trigger pin and disconnector and trigger.
Then slide your lower receiver off the bolt carrier.

Once you get to that point lets assess what is going on.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can say with authority I have never heard of this happening before. Guess if it is mechanical, there is always some new way for it to break.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can say with authority I have never heard of this happening before. Guess if it is mechanical, there is always some new way for it to break.

I've seen it a bunch...when people put their rifle back together without the buffer/spring and then attempt to charge it. Doh!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In your 2nd pic it appears the the bolt is too far forward in the carrier? I think the cam pin is sticking out of the BC too far.
That's what I thought, but comparing the picture to my BCG, it looks like the bolt is properly extended and the bolt is oriented correctly, so the cam pin should be out of the way. Even if it's sticking up, it'd be stopped by the gas key--plus, the slot for the charging handle is wide enough the accommodate it (I don't think there's enough play for it to get cockeyed in the slot).

I can't really see any way for something coming loose in the BCG to jam it in that position unless something got galled or grooved. I thought it might be the firing pin retaining pin came loose and got trapped between the bolt carrier and the upper, but I still don't see how that could happen with the lower in place (an inch of travel from that position would put the retaining pin just outside the upper, but still inside the buffer tube/lower, so the pin wouldn't be able to come out far enough, I think).

I'm guessing that there's something stuck up in the slot for the charging handle--does the charging handle move freely, or is it stuck with the BCG?

Latest posts

Top Bottom