Contact with LEO and CCW experiences.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Experience when CCW and LEO contact

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a commercial driver, Class 8 truck. We get pulled over more than regular passenger car drivers. One of the reasons is that the LEO doesn't need a reason to pull over a CDL driver.

Having said that, I still inform. The LEO will run your plate, and know anyway if you have a carry license.

I have never had a 'bad vibe' from any LEO that stopped me. Granted, it's almost always a State Trooper, and I think Troopers are a different cut of LEO compared to straight run City Cop.

Mostly I get a positive response, although some don't seem to care one way or another. I've never seen an LEO annoyed about me carrying. It's just part of their job, they have to deal with it.
You have to be to like playing in traffic all day.

I have just one question to the OP. What is your definition of annoyed?

A sideward glance? An eye roll? A sigh? Or no reaction at all?

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, no. It’s only when it’s an official contact. Example, my daughter had a minor traffic accident last night. When I got to the location and the the first officer approached me I informed, he seemed very annoyed. The second and third officer (each at later times and each alone when approaching me) both said the same thing, good, keep it where it is and I’ll do the same. I have had other experiences where the officer says “that’s great, I wish everyone would”. It’s not a bash post by any means, I was just curious. I know that I always wanted to know when I was on duty who, besides me, had a firearm.
I don't think that is an official contact and therefore no reason to inform.

I've been pulled over many times and had many interaction with LE since obtaining CCW.
If pulled over, hand them DL AND CCW permit, while ieeping both hands visible.
No reason to inform if you are attending to your kids wrecks ETC...
I've been carrying 20 years and had 4 boys so plenty of unofficial contact with LE.
It really also depends on location of interaction.
Wagoner Co, i have never had one sherrif even flinch, they just don't seem to care. I think everybody carrys out here.

Broken Arrow, 90% take a step back after seeing CCW permit, put their hand on their gun and gather their witts almost like you pulled a gun on them.

TPD has been about 50/50 half could not care, the others act like they are staring down a barrel.

Texas and Louisianna no problems

I agree with Dennis, I would never hand my weapon over much less draw it out and hand it to them
If they want to cuff me, they can do it themselves.

Also, don't say stupid things like "I'm carrying a weapon." Just hand them the CCW and DL and shut your mouth.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been pulled over a few times in Edmond. I gave the officer my drivers license and my CCW permit at the same time. Twice, the officer asked where it was located and I pointed it out and the conversation proceeded. The third time, the officer thanked me for showing him the permit and the conversation moved in.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been a few years ago that we had a bad accident at an intersections on the border of Mustang and OKC. OKC had the jurisdiction, but Mustang police were helping with traffic control. When the OKC officer approached I told him I had a CCW and the only thing he ask was if i was in the vehicle, I told him no that it was on my right hip. He said fine and ask for my drivers license. I could not get any of my neighbors on the phone and the Mustang officer gave the wife and I a ride home. He already knew I carried.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's this about "official contact", other than "during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop"?

Probably annoyed because...
"No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a handgun licensee or as lawfully in possession of any other firearm if the law enforcement officer does not demand the information"
Your correct. Old law required the first words uttered when LEO walked up to the vehicle that you announce you were armed. Not that way now with the new laws.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About two weeks into carrying I got pulled over. He comes to the door, stated his name and told me he pulled me over for out of date tags. That caught me off guard as I knew I had registered, so I clarified with him what he meant, then handed him my DL and OHL, informed him that I was carrying and its location. Come to find out my tag was missing the proper year sticker, but it did come up in the system as properly registered. Told me have a nice day. Didn't bat an eye at me carrying. Come to find out when I registered I stuck the paper with the sticker in the glove box and promptly forgot about it, went almost 8 months like that lol.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been stopped many times for speeding and was even stopped this past Wednesday night on the turnpike heading to Grand. If it is at night, I always turn all my interior lights on and have my license and gun license in hand. I have never had a negative experience with LEO and have not gotten a ticket in years. Most of them will ask me where my gun is, I tell them and they just say to keep my hands away from it or on the wheel.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had all good experiences when I informed except one:
I got pulled over for a headlight out at around 8pm last March. Female comes to the window, tells me why she stopped me, I said "Ok, no sweat, BTW, I have a CCP". She gets big eyes and says "is it in the truck?" - "yes", I reply.

She asks me to get out of truck, so I did. She then asks "where is the gun?" I said "in my waistband". She then looked very panicked, and by this time another cop was standing behind her. She tells me to surrender my weapon "OK?". I say, no it's not ok, it's under protest. Cop # 2 steps forward, I raise my hands to allow him to take it.

Four more cops show up. After a long time, she comes back up, says please step out of the truck again. I do, she says "I'm going to put your gun and ammo in the seat. When I go back to my car you can retrieve them." (they had removed ammo)

The whole "seize my gun" deal was blatantly against the law, yet I was nice and polite. I got the dvd of the incident via the FOIA, supposedly Don Spencer has it. This was Sapulpa PD, tell them "thanks for your service" if you come through town. Real heroes down there, I tell ya.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one bad reaction I got to my SDA license was with a rural county deputy. I guess he didn't like the way I gave him the DL and SDA card, because he kind of freaked smooth out on me, going on about how he was an SDA instructor and that's not how I was supposed to handle notifying him (although, in point of fact, he interrupted me while I was trying to notify him). Every response I gave to him was as polite as I could make it, and I made damn sure every response ended with "sir."

I think he figured out that he had overreacted just a bit, and as the Mellencamp song says, once he cooled down, he was OK. He let me go with a verbal warning, even though he had me dead to rights for driving just a bit too far over the posted limit.

The funniest one was when I was taking my Mom to pick up my aunt at the Tulsa airport not long after the SDA had been passed. We were scooting up the Turner Turnpike when a bored Trooper decided that we needed to have a roadside conference.

I handed him my OKDL and SDA card and informed him that I was carrying. He asked where it was, and I told him it was in my back pocket. He asked me to step out of the car, then had me put my hands on my head while he pulled it out of my pocket, and then we went back to his car. We had a nice chat about this, that, and the other, and he was curious about my carry piece, having never seen a Baby Browning before.

So he finishes running my plates, etc, gives me a warning, and tells me to slow down a little bit, and sends me back to the car.

And that's when I find out that while we've been back there shooting the bull, my mom has been freaking the heck out. She thought I was getting arrested, and she was trying to figure out what to do next...

Latest posts

Top Bottom