Depression

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
UPDATE!

To all my brothers and sisters of OSA, I just wanted to say thank you. Many of you who reached out to me in a time of severe crisis, I have never met. Regardless I took the advice of everyone and for a split second, a bit of clarity entered my mind. I am not sure what made me decide to drive to the VAMC after work on Friday and go to the emergency room, but in the end it doesn't really matter why I went, it just matters that I did. I checked in just before 4pm on Friday, and was released today at about 3:30pm. I did not recognize the person who checked into the hospital for the first few days and the ER staff was immediately concerned about my mental status, along with my blood pressure which was 250/135. Later that night, once the ER docs were able to lower and stabilize my blood pressure, they moved me up to Psych. The rest of Friday, Saturday and Sunday were a blur. I think I slept most of that time. I do know that I was put on suicide watch because I had told the nurses/doctors that I had planned to kill myself while in Psych by either electrocution, or by grabbing the police officer's gun. Monday I started feeling normal. It was a relief to finally be out of crisis. They lifted the suicide watch and mandatory 1 to 1 coverage for me that evening. The doctors stopped my existing anti-depressants and switched me over to a couple new ones when I was admitted on Friday. It took a few days to cycle through my system, but this morning I woke up feeling better than normal! It was quite a relief. I have not felt this good in a very long time. I went through meetings with my mental health team and therapy sessions. I feel a little more comfortable with who I am today, and what I need to do to fight through my depression and hopefully overcome it. I've been flagged as a high suicide risk by the VA, so I am getting some extra attention and care and have an amazing amount of resources now at my disposal that I can access should I ever go into crisis mode again. I have follow up appointments with my mental health team, social workers, and therapy support groups. I have to teach myself how to interact with life so I am taking things a little slower these days, not trying to get overwhelmed by life all at once. It is a baby steps approach. I know I can do this, but if I can't I know there is help to get me back on the right path. The new medication is helping me with this process and doing wonders so far.

So thank you, not to just one or two of you, but to all of you. I can honestly say this.... if it wasn't for this thread I started a week ago and the many words of encouragement to ask for help, I would not be here today. I'll keep posting updates if that is okay. The good along with the bad, because I know there are going to be some hard days along the journey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom