Election 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vote

• Total voters

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're having a victory party at the Koch mansion.

Can you get us in?

And the funny part of that is, for the first time in a long time the GOP looks to raise more money then the Dems. Part of that is because the left has spent the last couple of years attacking the Koch brothers with lies, and so the Koch brothers decided to strike back by doubling what they usually donate to Republican causes. The fact that many former Obama supporters have not been donating has not hurt either.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the funny part of that is, for the first time in a long time the GOP looks to raise more money then the Dems. Part of that is because the left has spent the last couple of years attacking the Koch brothers with lies, and so the Koch brothers decided to strike back by doubling what they usually donate to Republican causes. The fact that many former Obama supporters have not been donating has not hurt either.

So does that mean no, you can't get us in? :ugh2:

What's the use of having friends in low places if you can't get invited to the victory dance?

R

RyanSixer

By the way Religion as defined by Jesus Christ is to help the widows and the fatherless. Do you really want a government without that? My views on Religion in government is that a CHURCH has no business attempting to further its own ends through legistlation or coercion any more than any other entity. The church has far to lofty a goal to stoop to politics anyway. That being said, a civilization without morality is dead already. A civilization that wishes to thrive past the first couple of generations MUST teach and pass on morals. Anybody know of a better, more efficient means of achieving that than religion? The majority of our predicament today with our politicians can be summed up in a couple of words. A deficit of morality. You fix the lack of morality and even if politicians screw up, you can assume that they made an honest mistake just like anyone else, instead of assuming that there must be an ulterior motive or payoff.

Also while I'm on a tear, this whole thing about abortion being a "choice". Of course its a choice! To KILL or not to KILL, thats the question. Why is it socially acceptable to stop a heart beat in the womb but outside the womb the woman is a psychotic monster? Hmmmmm..........

Double Amen!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get so tired of retarded fools commenting on subjects they are either too lazy to read (1st ammendment) or too stupid to understand (due to their government school "education") what they just read.

I'm assuming you're attempting to make a comment about me, but yet you haven't offered any evidence that I am "retarded", that I don't understand the First Amendment as well as its origins and case law, and that I am too stupid to understand what I read.

If you can bring some evidence, I would be glad to have a civilized discussion with you so long as you can back up your arguments with solid facts and data. If you can back up your arguments with irrefutable and compelling facts and data, then I will gladly concede to your arguments.

I base my opinions on the best facts that I know, not on emotion. Bringing emotion into the voting booth is one of the reasons why this country is going to Hell in a handbasket at its current pace.

By the way, I was smart enough to complete high school in three years (grades 9-12) with no real extra effort. I'm not one that likes to sit around and not learn like the education system, both General and Higher education, wants you to do. I have a daily goal of always learning something new on my own rather than regurgitating what someone has attempted to spoon-feed me without questioning the validity of what is being used to "educate".

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first ammendment to the Constitution reads as follows, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." The first ammendment has NOTHING in it restricting religion from government. It has everything to do with restricting government from religion. In point of fact, you will find following the document on which so much has been misconstrued and misrepresented, no doubt serving as the basis for your statement that "religion has no place in government". Nowhere in the context of the document will you find one iota that indicates the President intended to keep religion or the church out of the government. Rather, he was affirming that since religion involves the relationship between man and his God, that government has no business interfering in any way.

By the way, if you have any more questions about the historical existence of the relationship, as well as the importance that the founding fathers placed upon religion in the fabric of our government, one of the best resources is www.wallbuilders.com

President Jefferson's Reply:

Messrs. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, and Stephen s. Nelson
A Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association, in the State of Connecticut.

Washington, January 1, 1802

Gentlemen,--The affectionate sentiment of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist Association, give me the highest satisfaction. My duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature would "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and Creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect and esteem.

Th Jefferson
Jan. 1. 1802

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, I congratulate you on your educational accomplishment. Not everyone has the fortitude to finish, let alone early. In your quest for truth, I wish you the best of luck as well as discernment. I see that you are a proud Oklahoma libertarian. I am convinced that the most influential founding fathers were Libertarians, by lifestyle and conviction if not by name.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Establishment of religion

Main article: Establishment Clause

Originally, the First Amendment applied only to the federal government. A number of the states effectively had established churches when the First Amendment was ratified, with some remaining into the early nineteenth century.

Subsequently, Everson v. Board of Education (1947) incorporated the Establishment Clause (i.e., made it apply against the states). However, it was not until the middle to late twentieth century that the Supreme Court began to interpret the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses in such a manner as to restrict the promotion of religion by the states. In the Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District v. Grumet, 512 U.S. 687 (1994), Justice David Souter, writing for the majority, concluded that "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion."[1]

Separationists

Everson used the metaphor of a wall of separation between church and state, derived from the correspondence of President Thomas Jefferson. It had been long established in the decisions of the Supreme Court, beginning with Reynolds v. United States from 1879, when the Court reviewed the history of the early Republic in deciding the extent of the liberties of Mormons. Chief Justice Morrison Waite, who consulted the historian George Bancroft, also discussed at some length the Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments by James Madison, who drafted the First Amendment; Madison used the metaphor of a "great barrier."[2]

Justice Hugo Black adopted Jefferson's words in the voice of the Court, and concluded that "government must be neutral among religions and nonreligion: it cannot promote, endorse, or fund religion or religious institutions."[3] The Court has affirmed it often, with majority, but not unanimous, support. Warren Nord, in Does God Make a Difference?, characterized the general tendency of the dissents as a weaker reading of the First Amendment; the dissents tend to be "less concerned about the dangers of establishment and less concerned to protect free exercise rights, particularly of religious minorities."[4]

Beginning with the Everson decision itself, which permitted New Jersey school boards to pay for transportation to parochial schools, the Court has used various tests to determine when the wall of separation has been breached. The Everson decision laid down the test that establishment existed when aid was given to religion, but that the transportation was justifiable because the benefit to the children was more important. In the school prayer cases of the early 1960s, (Engel v. Vitale and Abington School District v. Schempp), aid seemed irrelevant; the Court ruled on the basis that a legitimate action both served a secular purpose and did not primarily assist religion. In Walz v. Tax Commission, the Court ruled that a legitimate action could not entangle government with religion; in Lemon v. Kurtzman, these points were combined, declaring that an action was not establishment if
1.the statute (or practice) has a secular purpose;
2.its principal or primary effect neither advances nor inhibits religion; and
3.it does not foster an excessive government entanglement with religion.

This Lemon test has been criticized by Justices and legal scholars, but it remains the predominant means by which the Court enforces the Establishment Clause.[5] In Agostini v. Felton, the entanglement prong of the Lemon test was demoted to simply being a factor in determining the effect of the challenged statute or practice.[6] In Zelman v. Simmons-Harris, the opinion of the Court considered secular purpose and the absence of primary effect; a concurring opinion saw both cases as having treated entanglement as part of the primary purpose test.[5]

Accommodationists

Accommodationists, on the other hand, read the Establishment Clause as prohibiting the Congress or any state from declaring an official religion or preferring one to another, but hold that laws do not have to be shorn of morality and history to be declared constitutional.[7] As a result, they apply the Lemon Test only selectively, holding Justice Douglas' statement in Zorach v. Clauson, "[w]e are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being" 343 U.S. 306 (1952).[7][8]

As such, for many conservatives, the Establishment Clause solely prevents the establishing of a state church, not from publicly acknowledging God and "developing policies that encourage general religious

Latest posts

Top Bottom