Everything BBQ!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the wet brining process, using salt and brown sugar, its supposed to be the combo that infuses the seasonings mixed with brine into the meat using osmosis.

That being said, other food experts say that crusting the meat with just salt is the way to go. I've never done that, but its on my agenda now.

I'm no expert but you asked about the dry brine process. If you rub salt only on meat and give it time the salt will dissolve into the meat, all the other spices will remain on the surface.

The wet brine process is different and I only use it on birds.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Schweinshaxe (roasted Ham hock or pork knuckle). But today I had smoked ham hock. Man..... it was GOOD!

I know this is very popular in Germany, especially Bavaria where i'm from, but do y'all like it? Smoked or roasted doesnt matter

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never tried it. I rub with kosher salt, then with my rub (usually Meathead's Memphis Dust) and throw them on the smoker. If I have time I season them the day before, but if not, I just throw it all on right before smoking. Seems to work about equally well, near as I can tell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom