HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That addition is the aftermath of this "what is a person" stuff they have been haggling about this year. Some of the back and forth on 2522 and 1733 have been from somebody trying to "make a point" and getting butt hurt over some new abortion laws.

I imagine it's just being thrown in there so that Mattress Mary will have an excuse to veto it.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if I don't get it, but do any of the bills have full open carry or accidental exposure still in them? Or are we just hoping at this point to be able to open carry on our own property?

Yes, either bill provides open carry for the standard CCW bribe it takes to get Oklahoma to allow the second amendment to apply to you.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to be careful when reading the most recent version of HB2522. There are 2 parts to this version. The first part is the Senate Amendment that passed the Senate and is 8 pages. The second part is the Engrossed version that passed the House. This is not the same format that is used when bills with amendments pass out of committee or the full chamber of origin.

So this means that if you just glance at the bill, it looks as if open carry is in the bill, however if you read the first 8 pages (which is the senate amended version), the only open carry is on your own private property.

Here is what HB2522 now does:
1) Adds ammunition to the parking lot exemption
2) Changes notification from "first contact" to "first opportunity"
3) Reduces the fine for failure to notify
4) Allows open carry on your own property without a permit.

I thought that might be what was going on because the bill seemed to be repeating itself. Ok, disregard my previous few statements about the bill.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like an amendment to HB2522 protects abortion rights??!?

2. The person who uses defensive force is a pregnant woman who knew or had reason to believe that her pregnancy would result in harm to herself or the risk of her life and the defensive act is an abortion as defined in Section 1-730 of Title 63 of the Oklahoma Statutes. From: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/c...ENTS/Senate/HB2522 (4-23-12) (WILSON) FA2.DOC

As far as I can tell, there is no mention of the Wilson amendment language in the "amended and engrossed" version of the bill. I think the amendment was proposed but not voted in.

B

Big Moose

It is hard to believe that a group of people can take something that seems fairly simple and screw it up the way it has been done. If they would spend the time doing what the people what and not what they want the things would be better. I still have my fingers crossed, my concern is accidental exposure not so much actual open carry. I believe this is what most people are concerned about. Just my 2 cents.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is hard to believe that a group of people can take something that seems fairly simple and screw it up the way it has been done. If they would spend the time doing what the people what and not what they want the things would be better. I still have my fingers crossed, my concern is accidental exposure not so much actual open carry. I believe this is what most people are concerned about. Just my 2 cents.

My biggest concern is the restoration of our rights, without having to pay for the privilege.

Latest posts

Top Bottom