just how much is too much scope on 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
oh wow, i never noticed the mueller brand. but i have honestly only ever shopped scopes at academy. so where would i find some of these mueller scopes, im guessing sports world (tulsa broken arrow area)

i am only going to be shooting on bench, i have no need to hunt with it, not that i have a problem hunting, i just do not wish to kill something i would not eat.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Meuller website only shows Kings Gun and Pawn in OKC as a dealer. That's where I picked mine up (Thanks Timmy!).

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

You can order them from their site and Midway sells them also. Meuller has pricing agreements with its dealers so shopping around for a better price doesn't always end up being fruitful. Though I have seen $10-20 differences here and there.

I would never recommend buying a scope you haven't looked through. It's just not a good idea, IMO.

Reaction score
something like a 4-12x40 leupold or a 4.5-14x40 nikon

is there really such a thing as too much?

The answer is no, not for a target/varmint application. I've got a 6-20x44 on one of my .22s!! The answer would be yes if jumping bunny rabbits or squirrels. I've got a 1-4x24 on a huntin .22. The key factor here is having an adjustable objective, not magnification, so that you can eliminate parallax error at close ranges (or most of it). Leupold makes a 6-24x40 VX3 with AO, but it's a $650 scope - what's your budget here? But for shooting targets at any ranges, 50 yards or more, a lot of magnification is a GOOD thing. So is glass quality of course.

i mean its variable so i can just turn it down a bit right?

You got it! :)

also, is stupid of me to think that with a 12 or 14 pwr scope i could target shoot 8-10 inch targets at 100-150 yards with the 22 lr?

Well yes and no, mostly no. At 150, you're gonna have a lot of drop and a lot of wind drift, so likely it will be frustrating. At 100, it won't be that hard to hit a 10" target, no. Might quite a fair amount of wind drift and be a little frustrating, but you can hit it most of the time, once you have your drop dope worked out.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
nice. grats 5k.

i am for sure going to go with a variable. probably the 4-12 nikon

stupid postal service updated my confirmation that they delivered my package yesterday and no such thing happened. so now i need to figure out where my mount is after work today.

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
With a good 22 and good glass there is no reason to not expect to shoot and hit 10-12" targets consistently, I've done it out to 250 with mine, seriously lobbing them out there but was holding in a 6" group. But I also shoot golf balls at 100 for fun, I average a 65% hit ratio at that distance. shooting them at less than 75 yards is just plain boring, hit ratios get way over 90%. I use a Magnum Research 22/17 in 22LR with a Millett Buck Golt 4-16x56 with a Mil-Dot Reticle. I couldn't be happier with my combination.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't spend over $150 for a scope on a .22. There is no need.

I have a CZ 452 16" with a Mueller APV (4.5-14x44 I think), and I can hit 200yd steel targets all day long - both suppressed and unsuppressed.

I paid $115 for the APV from these guys: www.mizzoumuleguns.com

Good luck with whatever you decide! Long range .22 plinking is mucho fun. :50cal:

Latest posts

Top Bottom