just how much is too much scope on 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no reason whatsoever to buy a Nikon or a Leupold. At that point, you're just paying for the name. I have a Tasco 3x9x50mm on my Remington 597, and it is more than adequate. I'm pretty sure I paid something like $57 for it at Walmart. It's just as dependable as my Leupold Vx-2 that I picked up for over $300. There's no noticeable difference. You'd have no problem hitting those targets even past 150 yards.

Are you kidding? Good glass costs money. Period.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my scope mount came in yesterday, already got excited and put it on the gun, so i will certainly be going shopping this weekend for a scope and then right out to the range with it. between the two scopes i have seen locally i like the nikon even tho is more expensive. but then again giving up 2 pwrs (14on the nikon vs 12 on the leupold) i would save enough to get the rings to mount the thing.

i will need to look around. probably go into bass pro, then out to sports world and finally back to academy to see if my friends behind the counter are selling any used scopes in good condition.
but i will certainly find one this weekend. thanks for the support, i no have no worries and full confidence in my decision to put the high pwr variable on it. i will have to repay you with some pictures of my sweet rifle. (sweet to me, anyways)

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks for the input.
i went to academy saturday and picked up the nikon 4.5-14x40 buckmaster i really like it. i feel like i could hit quarters 95% of the time at 50 yrds without a vice or blocks.

took it out to happy hollow sunday and was very happy with it, i am not an amazing marksman, but the scope is amazing, i can actually spot for myself with the mounted scope, and for my poor eyes and a 22 at 100 yards that makes me feel really good.
i went ahead and zeroed it at 50 yards and then decided to take it out to the 100yrd for the circle target i think its 8 or 10 inches. noted i was not zeroed nor did i try to, i simply guessed and corrected and was satasfied that i hit the target at that range. i could see it fine, but i felt with the wind and using the cheap 22lr hollow points that i was doing well at that.

the gun simply looks amazing to me.
here are some image shack photos i promised i would get of it once i did. and the targets. the square was at 50 yards and the round was at 100.

http://img708.imageshack.us/i/dcp0282.jpg/
http://img36.imageshack.us/i/dcp0283.jpg/
http://img682.imageshack.us/i/dcp0284.jpg/
http://img30.imageshack.us/i/dcp0285.jpg/
http://img31.imageshack.us/i/dcp0288.jpg/

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midway has Nikon Prostaff Classic 4x32mm Rimfire Rifle Scopes for $110 and that includes the rings, so please tell me where I am paying so much more for the name.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=149715

Just a quick response and clarification to everyone who's contradicted me since I quit reading this thread...

The OP was looking for something in the range of 4.5-14x40mm. NOT a 4x32mm. I'm using Cabelas, for ease of use not price, and the only Nikon they have at 4.5-14x40mm is a Buckmaster for $300.

I know for a fact that you do need to pay a certain premium to put good glass on a gun. Otherwise, optics makers like Leupold wouldn't exist. But my statement earlier was in relation to the topic of the thread. The OP wanted to know how much is too much scope on a 22lr. When I see that question, I consider price as well as power. At a certain point, like when your scope costs twice as much as your .22, you've reached that "too much" point. Now, I may see this differently because I use my .22 to hunt, not to target shoot. I personally cannot see the value in buying a top dollar scope just so that I can shoot at a stationary target all day. I realize that I should have said "There's no reason to buy a Nikon or a Leupold...for a .22".

This is just my $0.02, but if I'm going big game hunting out west and I need clear, reliable glass to make a 400 yard shot and justify spending $5000 on a hunt, then I'll put up the money to buy a nice scope. But if I'm going plinking just for the fun of it, I'm willing to accept a small margin of error in return for paying 10% of the price.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have the $50 setup (Tasco 3-9x50mm) and it is very impressive. I have extensive experience with quality optics (Nikon, Leupold, etc...) and the Tasco provides very comparable performance for a small fraction of the cost. A lot of people here are bashing the Tasco, and I guess I would expect that from the gun enthusiasts here on OSA.

Here is my suggestion: Go to Walmart, buy the Tasco 3-9x50mm scope and rings, install it on whatever rifle you want (for the purpose of this thread, I will suggest .22lr) and try it at the range just once.

If you don't agree that it's a very good scope for $50 for use on a .22, then put it back in the package and take it back to Walmart. No harm done.

Until someone actually tries a Tasco 3-9x50mm scope, I think people should stop talking poorly of them. Optics have come a long way in the last several years.

-Brad

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $115 for the APV from these guys: www.mizzoumuleguns.com
:50cal:

I first put a Simmons 22 mag scope on my K10/22T because it was cheap and silver (that was 12 years ago). I've since put a Mueller APV (Dennis at Mizzou Mule is great) on it with DNZ Game Reaper 1 pc mount and couldnt' be happier with this set up. It's perfect for what I'm doing and didn't break the bank.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like to shoot with anything more than a 4x. Too much wobble... makes you want to "fuss the shot." However, it is nice to have variable power to observe the target and spot those little .22" holes in paper.

I wouldn't go with a variable power that can't be turned down to at least 4x... A 3-9x is perfect, and they're the most common so they can be found very cheaply. Why you would ever want more than 9x on a .22, even for observation, is beyond me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom