just how much is too much scope on 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i feel like the thread has gone away from the topic, i never said that price was a concern, simply function and as it turns out the variable powers took care of that. another concern was size, but considdering it was a training rifle for the era of the m1grand size didnt factor either.

everyone has their own opinon on preferance, that however does not mean that i feel it acceptable to demine what others prefer.

i kind of had to laugh when somone mentioend or rather at least hinted that i was planning and did, put a 300 scope on an "inexpensive gun" that "the scope far exceeded the value of the gun" or something to that measure. form what i have seen on gunbroker, the same gun in the same condition has been up for between 500-800 dollars. i am not bragging, but it makes sense, i found sites that talked about the desgn and manufacturing of the barrel and saying it was a technique that is used today in tournament rifles of its caliber.
do not be mistaken, despite my skill and marksmanship and knowledge of equpment, i take pride in my newly inherited gun.

i had planned on just rolling my eyes at the out of control rants but it seems this thread keeps poping back up to the top day after day.

to those of you that gave an honest opinion on your preferance and experiences with your target 22s with big scopes, thanks.

for the typical forum trolling rant ready others, :screwy:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really sure what could be too much scope. I personally shoot an 8-32 power scope on my old Remington 512. It worked great for zapping ground hogs that were a little shy as long as the ranges were reasonable.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
one doesn't need a reason to have nice glass .. anymore than we need a reason to have a nice rifle.

for a .22LR setup... a fixed 4x scope of the highest quality can be purchased for a modest sum. used Leupold 4x scopes come up regularly in the $150 range.

have never felt limited by a fixed 4x scope on 22LR... heck that's what I use by choice on my deer rifle, Weatherby .270 & Unertl 4x...

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old straight tube Weaver scopes can't be beat... the 2.5x and 4x are perfect for .22s. They will never die.

I shot my highest score ever on the 25m Army Qualification Test (the target Appleseed uses) with a factory 10/22 with an old Weaver V8 fixed 2.5x. Shot a 245. Not too shabby.

You can find them pretty cheap on e-bay from time to time.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you should expect your 22 to be able to thump a rabbit from 10ft to 75-100yd. If you can find a rabbit in your scope with a minimum power of 6 the power to you, but I like having a 3x9 that way you can shoot accurately closeup.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a new Savage MKII TR R last weekend. I pulled a Baraska 10-40x50 scope off the shelf, mounted it on the rifle with a Rimfire Technology 25 MOA scope rail & zeroed it at 50 yds. 100 is no problem. If the wind ever quits I'll take it to 250 yds, 50 at a time. My Savage MKII FV wears a Center Point 4-14x40 on a EGR 20 MOA base & it will go 250, but it's about a 10" group at that range with CCI Mini Mag HP's. I like watching the bullet fall into the target with a higher powered scope. Youre looking at around 31 MOA at 200 yds, And quite bit more at 250. This is a fun game to play! :rubhands:

Latest posts

Top Bottom