just how much is too much scope on 22lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You cannot buy good glass for fifty dollars. Period. You can buy decent glass for a hundred if you shop.

I don't agree.

Again, until you go buy the $50 Tasco scope, I don't think your statements have any credibility.

And again, I have used $300+ scopes before; therefore, I have experience with BOTH the "good" glass and the $50 glass. I stand firmly behind the statement that the $50 scope is "decent" glass.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I have not had the $50 Tasco you keep referring to. I find the idea that this one scope somehow is better than ALL the other sub $100 scopes in some magical way amusing. Cheap glass is cheap glass. While the scope may be "good enough," its not good.

And again, I have used $300+ scopes before; therefore, I have experience with BOTH the "good" glass and the $50 glass.

Decent glass starts at the Sightron S1 and Nikon Prostaff, and goes from there. There are deals to be had out there, but the majority of them are in the secondary market. $300 is not "good" glass, its still decent in some cases, terrible in others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick response and clarification to everyone who's contradicted me since I quit reading this thread...

The OP was looking for something in the range of 4.5-14x40mm. NOT a 4x32mm. I'm using Cabelas, for ease of use not price, and the only Nikon they have at 4.5-14x40mm is a Buckmaster for $300.

I know for a fact that you do need to pay a certain premium to put good glass on a gun. Otherwise, optics makers like Leupold wouldn't exist. But my statement earlier was in relation to the topic of the thread. The OP wanted to know how much is too much scope on a 22lr. When I see that question, I consider price as well as power. At a certain point, like when your scope costs twice as much as your .22, you've reached that "too much" point. Now, I may see this differently because I use my .22 to hunt, not to target shoot. I personally cannot see the value in buying a top dollar scope just so that I can shoot at a stationary target all day. I realize that I should have said "There's no reason to buy a Nikon or a Leupold...for a .22".

This is just my $0.02, but if I'm going big game hunting out west and I need clear, reliable glass to make a 400 yard shot and justify spending $5000 on a hunt, then I'll put up the money to buy a nice scope. But if I'm going plinking just for the fun of it, I'm willing to accept a small margin of error in return for paying 10% of the price.

You are correct that the OP did not ask about a fixed 4x scope, but then he didn't ask about low cost either now did he?

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just doesn't make sense to me to invest so much money into such an inexpensive gun. If it was a heavily modified 10/22 with hundreds of dollars worth of aftermarket parts, an expensive scope would be justified. I was just trying to give prudent advice to someone. Let's turn things around. At one point are the marginal gains made by your scope outweighed by the poor performance of you antique weapon?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It just doesn't make sense to me to invest so much money into such an inexpensive gun. If it was a heavily modified 10/22 with hundreds of dollars worth of aftermarket parts, an expensive scope would be justified. I was just trying to give prudent advice to someone. Let's turn things around. At one point are the marginal gains made by your scope outweighed by the poor performance of you antique weapon?

I have an "old" Armscor 22 that I bought for $110, bipod included, that outshoots my 10/22 that I paid ~$325 for. I have no qualms putting a scope worth twice what the gun is on it. And, just because a gun is an "antique" does not mean it has poor performance.

lilysdad, would you consider the Bushnell Elite scopes to be on par with the Sightron or Nikon scopes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom