Oklahoma Rifle Association ORA opposes open carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally have VERY close and deep ties to the ORA. I'm not currently a member, although I have been in the past also.

From what I understand about it so far, I don't agree with the ORA's position on open carry. Further, I cannot find any substanative explaination that would justify their position so I'm baffled.

Like I and others have said here and elsewhere, there are currently two open positions on the ORA Board of Directors. I think it's a grand opportunity for someone who feels strongly about this to step up and become part of the solution whatever that may be. I would personally re-join the ORA in order to vote to fill these two positions with someone whom I believe would serve the members of the Oklahoma hunting and shooting community well.

I can assure those of you who believe that the ORA has been infiltrated by anti-gunners that this is NOT the case. The men who serve on the board ARE good, honorable, pro-gun people. The ORA has been around for over 70 years and has and does do many great things for Oklahoma firearms enthusiasts. I just can't understand their position on this issue and I wish they would explain themselves more fully and enter into some form of discussion and debate in order to prove, disprove, change or solidify their opinion.

I think what is even more frustrating to all of us is that they will not or can not logically explain themselves...

I don't think they've been infiltrated by antis. I think they have a group of wrong headed fudds in charge that get their knickers in a wad when citizens want to exercise their 2A rights in ways they don't agree with.

tagillespie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Tagillespie... I have to ask. Do you take back what you read on forums like this to your board and lobbiest?

I'd expect the takeaway from here is ... We want our A2 rights back, all of them. If open carry is part of that so be it. We will decide (as individuals) if we want to wear a gun outside our pants.

Ammend what you have too... but I for one... will be sorely upset if we get rooked this year with a majority GOP state government in place.

Jef, We are a citizens' activist group. Myself and one other do all of the advocacy work (we aren't lobbyists in the traditional sense, since we aren't paid), but we always encourage everyone to become an advocate / unpaid lobbyist because it is OUR government. We do discuss what is said on this and other forums, but it isn't really necessary because everyone on our board is just like you and me. In fact, the inaction of certain other groups on legislation that actually matters was the reason we formed OK2A in the first place. I agree, the Second Amendment gives every citizen the right to carry however he/she pleases and there should be no government interference with that right. As for amending the bills, unfortunately, this year that is our best hope because the Speaker isn't gonig to let a traditional open carry bill through the process (the Senate is a little more friendly, but not much). The result is that we sometimes have to use the amendment process to put language into bills that actually make it to the floor. This was the case with HB1647, we just needed to get it to the floor and then over to the Senate so we could put the correct language into it because of all these roadblocks put up by our wonderful (said with a smirk) Republican leadership. And, by the way, Governor Fallin has been absolutely NO help in this process. She said she would sign an open carry bill if it gets to her desk, but she has no desire to help get it there.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think they've been infiltrated by antis. I think they have a group of wrong headed fudds in charge that get their knickers in a wad when citizens want to exercise their 2A rights in ways they don't agree with.

This^^^^^^^

Very common among guys whose only affinity to guns is for hunting....

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(snip)...The result is that we sometimes have to use the amendment process to put language into bills that actually make it to the floor. This was the case with HB1647, we just needed to get it to the floor and then over to the Senate so we could put the correct language into it because of all these roadblocks put up by our wonderful (said with a smirk) Republican leadership. And, by the way, Governor Fallin has been absolutely NO help in this process. She said she would sign an open carry bill if it gets to her desk, but she has no desire to help get it there.

It seems we, the voters, are guilty of electing a bunch of paper tigers and that Miss Mary learned much from Bush 43 on how to dance the gun control dance (recalling B43 saying essentially the same thing about the Brady 10-year renewal).

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ORA is no better than the NRA! I'm gonna ask the same question I asked last year when our legislature was trying to pass open carry, but Gov. Henry vetoed. That question....is...."Where is the NRA?? Why aren't they rallying their Oklahoma members, writing press releases, or getting coverage on the news to restore liberties and defend the Constitution??"

I know the answer. It's because the ORA and the NRA are both political unions that do what's best for them, and not We the People. If we forced our "masters" to uphold and defend the Constitution...we wouldn't need the NRA or the ORA.

I will only support non-compromising 2nd Amendment organizations like the GOA or JFPO.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sent an email to Scott stating that his statement was DELIBERATE SABOTAGE and that the members of ORA should not only remove him from office but also remove his name from the membership rolls.

I suggest we contact as many Oklahoma citizens as possible to email him with similar sentiments.

What say you all?:soapbox:

Update: as many have probably already determined by trying to email Mr. Scott, his email on the ORA site is NOT valid!!! If someone has found a valid email address for this person, please post it.:rant:

22mag

New to the site!
Reaction score
Did I miss something in an Organization calling themselves the Oklahoma Rifle Association and then OPPOSING Open Carry? Are the officers from New York or Chicago?How can a native Oklahoman or someone from the Southwest U.S OPPOSE Open Carry?
I have visited Arizona several times and open carry has never been a problem for me while out there.I've seen a few people wearing a holstered sidearm get out of their pickup truck and walk into a convenience store @ the same time as myself and it was not any big deal for the patrons or the desk clerk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom