Racism at OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you live in Oklahoma and like me travel a lot out of state and back then it affects you when dealing with certain people who now associate white Okies with racist chants, it's more mental than physical but it does affect some of us, to a degree. To be in business and have to deal with potential customers who may associate you with this kind of stuff just because of geography and your skin color could become challenging.

sent by smoke signals(Tapatalk)

You're right...I was in San Diego all last week and people there know I'm from Oklahoma, and an OU Alum ('94) - luckily not an SAE.

It'll eventually blow over, but for now it's a little annoying being associated with it when trying to conduct business.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right...I was in San Diego all last week and people there know I'm from Oklahoma, and an OU Alum ('94) - luckily not an SAE.

It'll eventually blow over, but for now it's a little annoying being associated with it when trying to conduct business.

At least the west coast idiots have given up on us still riding around in covered wagons fighting indian tribes. Well, some of the educated ones anyway.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in LA every other week. OU is my alma mater. You are very correct, for better or worse.

So, since you are in LA and you happen upon a black potential customer and he ask if you're like the OU frat boys do you ask him if he was the one who beat up Reginal Denny? Do you ask the Mexican if he is illegal?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No we haven't.:tounge2::tounge2:

LOL, Some friends of ours take in Foreign exchange students. They had a student come from New Zealand with a stop at LA. They convinced her that we still rode in covered wagons and fought off the tribes.

When she got to OKC airport, there was a ceremonial group in full native American dress to greet a dignitary. She refused to get off the plane for awhile. LOL. True story. They all get a good laugh out of it now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom