Remington 700 class action lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39762676/ns/business-cnbc_tv/

What irritates me is that the article never mentions that the deaths & injuries from Remington 700 AD's would have been completely avoided with proper gun handling.

Never point a gun loaded or unloaded at anything you are not willing to kill or destroy.

Muzzle control.

CNBC Special Report:
Remington Under Fire
Premieres:
Wednesday, Oct. 20 at 9 p.m., 10 p.m., 12 a.m. and 1 a.m.

Reairs:
Sunday, Oct. 24 at 10 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 28 at 8 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 31 at 1 a.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 2 at 1 a.m.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just looks like more propaganda to me. I would venture to say i've been around more remmington 700's in one form or another than any other gun model throughout my life. Everything from a stock straight out of the box wood stock .243 to really high precision .300 mag stuff and i have never seen one "just go off". I've seen some that it didn't take more than a little bit of your shirt to get in there and tug on it to make it go off, but always at least some pressure applied directly to the trigger.

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad story...

I'm not sure that I agree that gun safety alone can prevent all incidents, especially if the gun did in fact malfunction. I agree that its highly important, however I would argue that even with constant muzzle awareness, your going to flag somebody with your weapon. Maybe not directly, but it will happen.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the 700's but the company might want to look into it, if for anything to keep their good name with shooters.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you watch all of the report? The designer of the 700 said it was unsafe and tried to have Remington fix it, but Remington didn't want to spend 5.5 cents. The blame falls on no one but Remington, even the USMC brought up concerns and said it was unsafe. Now before I start getting anti-gun bashed, you will not find anyone more Pro Gun then I am, guns are my passion. With that said even though it hurts place the blame where it goes, in this case it's Remington.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you watch all of the report? The designer of the 700 said it was unsafe and tried to have Remington fix it, but Remington didn't want to spend 5.5 cents. The blame falls on no one but Remington, even the USMC brought up concerns and said it was unsafe. Now before I start getting anti-gun bashed, you will not find anyone more Pro Gun then I am, guns are my passion. With that said even though it hurts place the blame where it goes, in this case it's Remington.

Untrue statement. I could have a million weapon malfunctions that cause it to go off unexpectedly and never hurt anyone because i am a stickler for muzzle awareness. If the weapon had of been pointed at the ground nobody would have gotten hurt.

Perhaps they share some blame and should definitely fix the issue and should have fixed it long ago but the are not the only ones to blame. The majority of it goes on the person holding the gun.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A reasonable man would NEVER take a rifle they knew to be malfunctioning in this manner out to hunt or shoot. It would be repaired before loading. A reasonable man would also make every effort to ensure that they followed all gun safety rules, including pointing it in a safe direction at all times.

Remington needs to own their share of the damages, and so do the people who handled the gun in an unsafe manner. Seems like a near 50/50 deal to me.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are much more generous than me G2G, I'm saying its a 80-20 split with the most responsibility on her. And the 20 only sits with Remmington if there actually is a defect.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are much more generous than me G2G, I'm saying its a 80-20 split with the most responsibility on her. And the 20 only sits with Remington if there actually is a defect.

You might be right IF it can be proven the Remington didn't know about the defect (if one exists). If however it can be proven that they knew about it for years and did nothing, then I'd vote 80/20 against Remington.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way i see it whether this was an ongoing defect in the manufacture of the weapon or a one time fluke malfunction, nothing majorly negative would have come out of the AD of the rifle if she had of had the weapon pointed in a known safe direction, like at the ground.

Whenever some one gets hurt or killed from a gun being fired, whether by ND/AD, intentionally fired, unsafe practice or anything else, the responsibility sits with the person behind the gun.

The only blame i would put on Remmington is for the gun going if there was a known manufacturing defect. Where the round coming out of the gun went and what or who it hit and killed or destroyed, lies solely with the user.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They did prove Remington knew about it, I am not saying Remington is at fault for unsafe gun handling. Remington is at fault for putting out an unsafe gun when the designer himself told them before it went to market. A US Marine Sniper pulled the trigger called mis-fire. When the range officer went over there the Marine touched the bolt handle and the gun went off. At court when the expert witness was showing the court the rifle it happened again with a different rifle, the Judge even stood up and said for the record the weapon just fired when letting off the safety. Call it what u want and say always point the gun in a safe direction, but no one with any sort of brains is going to take that gun to the woods or buy it Period. I have a 1968 Rem. 700 I will not hunt with it again until I have a gunsmith check it over. Remington knew about the problem and chose not to spend under 6 cents to fix it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom