Remington 700 class action lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If it could go off with no input from the user other than maybe bumping the rifle itself, I could see putting blame on Remington. Even then, if I'm carrying a loaded gun, I don't point it places it shouldn't be.

Anytime you are handling or manipulating a gun assume it could go off at any time.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the idea of safe direction that I take issue with.
If you holster a gun without your finger off the trigger and the gun goes off grazing your own ribs, well you just need to find a new mode of carry. If you blow a hole in the floor of your house, you just don't value your carpet the way you should.
Ultimately the manufacturer is never responsible for anything
Edit: on to off

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the idea of safe direction that I take issue with.
If you holster a gun without your finger off the trigger and the gun goes off grazing your own ribs, well you just need to find a new mode of carry. If you blow a hole in the floor of your house, you just don't value your carpet the way you should.
Ultimately the manufacturer is never responsible for anything
Edit: on to off

You do have a good point with the holstered gun thing. If it was a pistol in a holster i would be all for blaming the manufacturer. That is a issue where you were using safe practice and the gun going off still caused harm.

Since this is concerning a rifle tho, if you try and tuck it in your shorts and blow your junk off, I'm gonna go ahead and say thats on you.

And as far as blowing a hole in the carpet, its much better than killing another human being. In pointing at the floor, i'm pointing at something that i'm not going to have to carry on my conscience for the rest of my life if i destroy it.

I'm all for holding the manufacturer responsible for producing and selling a defective product. Not about trying to hold them responsible for a death that could have been avoided even tho the gun went off.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only guns that could possibly be called defective are the pre-82 models which do not allow you to open the bolt without taking off safe.
All later models should allow you to open the bolt with the safety on.
I would be willing to bet that if you checked all guns in question they had the sear engagement screw adjusted.
The problem they are encountering is a common one with adjustable triggers.
not just on Remingtons. If you adjust the sear engagement too much, pull the trigger, then flip off the safety it will go bang.

No different than if somebody does a trigger job on your 1911 and then tells you that you must pull the trigger every time you push the slide stop so you won't get hammer follow-up.
Crappy workmanship by somebody that doesn't know what they are doing.

All incidents would have been avoided if the 10 commandments of gun safety had been followed.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do have a good point with the holstered gun thing. If it was a pistol in a holster i would be all for blaming the manufacturer. That is a issue where you were using safe practice and the gun going off still caused harm.

Since this is concerning a rifle tho, if you try and tuck it in your shorts and blow your junk off, I'm gonna go ahead and say thats on you.

And as far as blowing a hole in the carpet, its much better than killing another human being. In pointing at the floor, i'm pointing at something that i'm not going to have to carry on my conscience for the rest of my life if i destroy it.

I'm all for holding the manufacturer responsible for producing and selling a defective product. Not about trying to hold them responsible for a death that could have been avoided even tho the gun went off.

So if I blow a hole in a person, it's my fault.
If I blow a hole in the floor, the manufacturer owes me a new carpet. It's the SAME DAMN GUN.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it'll bankrupt them. Maybe it'll just compel them to retool the assembly line.
When Ford finally lost a class action suit over the Pinto fire bomb, they finally fixed the problem.

de-evoproject

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I blow a hole in a person, it's my fault.
If I blow a hole in the floor, the manufacturer owes me a new carpet. It's the SAME DAMN GUN.

No. In either case the manufacturer owes you a fixed gun, refund or replacement. The hole in the floor and the person are both on you. The difference being one is easily replaceable and the other is not. If you value your carpet enough to not want to blow a hole in it, only have the gun loaded once you are outside pointing it at the dirt and do the same when you unload it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom