Ruger Mini's which one would you own and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They seem to be better priced than a high end AR or AK. I don't know anyone with either which is why I wanted feedback.

They may be... But low end ARs and AKs are better priced than high end ARs and AKs too so it's an apples/oranges comparison.

My choice would be based on ammo availability and how it fits into any gaps in my stash. I've got plenty of 5.56 guns so I might add the mini 30 just for fun.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got infatuated with them about a year ago and started doing research on calibers. I think the .223 ranch rifle would be my choice, but I chose against it due to accuracy reports in both calibers.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gotten a sub MOA 3 shot group with my Mini-14 a time or two. It won't do it everytime or with just any ammo. But I didn't buy it for the sole reason of stacking bullet holes on top of one another. There are some aftermarket stabilizers out there that will improve accuracy.

If you're looking for something that is reasonably accurate, fun to shoot and tougher than a tank they are hard to beat. As far as 5.56 vs 7.62, well I just don't care much for the 7.62. No particular reason, just never liked it. I don't like liver either. That doesn't mean either are bad, just not for me.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I've never owned a mini 14 or mini 30 but have shot both.

For the price of the rifles and mags I'd rather have an AK, AR or both. None of the minis that I've had experience with have any better accuracy than an AK other than the target model, which for the price isn't as accurate as any of my ARs in the same price range.

I do like the Deerfield carbine in .44mag though.

Depends on the quality of the builds, if your ars are top quality builds theres only apple / razor blade comparison.

They make several different stocks and a simple add-on barrell support thats supposed to enhance the accuracy of the mini 14's.

Shooting one and spending time with one is different, so yours is a preference , not a comparison?... ;)

Besides , just the action of the mini is cool to watch, the mags are a little high

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the quality of the builds, if your ars are top quality builds theres only apple / razor blade comparison.

They make several different stocks and a simple add-on barrell support thats supposed to enhance the accuracy of the mini 14's.

Shooting one and spending time with one is different, so yours is a preference , not a comparison?... ;)

Besides , just the action of the mini is cool to watch, the mags are a little high

You're right. I'd prefer to have a superior out of the box platform thats cheaper to customize/accessorize.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5.56 Ranch Rifle purchased new in the 90s. It has less felt recoil to me than an M4 platform. I have fired the .30 though not extensively and seems to me recoil was about the same. The rifles are similar in size and weight so I guess to me it comes down to choice of caliber. The .30 would be less expensive for ammo.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're right. I'd prefer to have a superior out of the box platform thats cheaper to customize/accessorize.

I see that , I just dont get into the,,,"customize"..."accessorize".

Firstly , I cant afford all those fancy gadgets , I dont shoot competition , or even to "stack bullets", I would probably choose something different along those lines.

But to throw in the truck as a defensive , varmit gettin, alll around plinkin and havin fun , I think theyre cool.

Too much of this , is this better than?? or??

I just think theyre cool.

SO...since its rifles..creedmore or lapua??

( Do they even make a "mini" in those platforms)...oh well ...fun shootin.... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom