Ruger Mini's which one would you own and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what customizing/accessorizing has to do with "gadgets". I think they're cool too, just overpriced for what they are IMHO.

Theyre the same, I shoot iron sights until I can find the best scope, reddot, sights that I can afford, for each rifle

night sights on pistols are pretty much a must , lazers not so much.

Dependability in a gun is first , a little trigger work , then Lots of practice

I dont have an aimpoint, eotech, cant justify the price, for some its the norm , for me its iron sights until I decide the best sight system for each different rifle

And Yes I have 2 taurus revolvers, j frames, some trigger work done , they work everytime.... ;)

Yea it would probably be cool to have a tacticool ar, ak, 1911, i'm just not willing to pay those prices...jusayin.. ;)

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Theyre the same, I shoot iron sights until I can find the best scope, reddot, sights that I can afford, for each rifle

night sights on pistols are pretty much a must , lazers not so much.

Dependability in a gun is first , a little trigger work , then Lots of practice

I dont have an aimpoint, eotech, cant justify the price, for some its the norm , for me its iron sights until I decide the best sight system for each different rifle

And Yes I have 2 taurus revolvers, j frames, some trigger work done , they work everytime.... ;)

Yea it would probably be cool to have a tacticool ar, ak, 1911, i'm just not willing to pay those prices...jusayin.. ;)

Still not sure what the correlation is between custom/accessorize and "gadgets" from this post. A nice trigger and ease of mounting optics both easier with AR than mini 14. As far as mini 30, ak or sks are both just as good or better for half the price.

No tacticool stuff in my stable, prefer the KISS principle myself.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, my misuse of the word "gadgets" instead of accessorys...I was meaning the same thing.

I think were saying the same thing, but the OP was ..."which mini", turned into mini-vs-ar-vs-ak thread.

Sometimes its just the wood and stainless steel on the mini that makes it cool to some, some dont like that
Yes an ak can be wood and ss too.... ;)

But Which mini?, I chose the 14 because thats what I have, it shoots well, some mag probs , bullett weights shoot different, but its fun to shoot and I didnt pay that much for mine.

Yes, other platforms are more adaptive (there I go changing words again... ;) ), some may choose them over the mini
but which mini would you choose if you were in the market for a mini>?

Dam now I'm confused.... 8)

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, my misuse of the word "gadgets" instead of accessorys...I was meaning the same thing.

I think were saying the same thing, but the OP was ..."which mini", turned into mini-vs-ar-vs-ak thread.

Sometimes its just the wood and stainless steel on the mini that makes it cool to some, some dont like that
Yes an ak can be wood and ss too.... ;)

But Which mini?, I chose the 14 because thats what I have, it shoots well, some mag probs , bullett weights shoot different, but its fun to shoot and I didnt pay that much for mine.

Yes, other platforms are more adaptive (there I go changing words again... ;) ), some may choose them over the mini
but which mini would you choose if you were in the market for a mini>?

Dam now I'm confused.... 8)

For me it would be the mini 14 as I have enough .30 caliber truck guns.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a newer -14 and love it. I'm saving up for a -30 though just because. My mini has never had any issue except when using off brand mags. But I've got several ruger 20 rounders that I got for $20 each. Never had an issue with them so its my go to gun for fun. Its plenty enough accurate for me. I can ring the 6" gong at 400 yards all day long. My only gripe is the scope mounts don't always rezero if I take the scope off for open sight fun. But, its fine enough.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hands down I'd choose an AR or an AK over a Mini regardless of caliber. Their accuracy and reliability are subpar, and the cost of good magazines makes them prohibitively expensive to me.

If I was forced to choose a Mini, I'd go for the Mini 30, since I have a lot of 7.62x39mm ammo.

Subpar reliability? You're smokin what? Go ahead and buy a box of 10 different brands of ammo from high quality to crap ammo. And then make sure you get 10 in 5.56 and 10 in .223. Tell me if the Mini 14 our your AR will shoot everything with no problems. Your AR will cough and sputter at a lot of crap ammo andmit won't shoot both .223 AND 5.56.

The mini may not be as accurate as most ARs but is very well known for it's reliability.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a ranch rifle many years ago, I wanted to like it, really did, but I could not hit the broad side of a barn with the dang thing no matter what I did. Finally sold it and got a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of the newer mini 30s and had no problems with accuracy or reliability, goes band every time regardless of the ammo it's fed. No magazine issues since I use the factory 10 or 20 round ones which if you watch closely you can get on sale. I gave both up my saiga and sks within a year of getting the mini as they both quickly fell out of my favorites.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Mini-14s/Mini-30s in the 580-/581-series have a heavier barrel than the originals and are generally more accurate. I have a 581-series Mini-14 that is plenty accurate for defensive use and predator control. I haven't found anything more reliable than a Mini-14, and I haven't had any problems with aftermarket magazines. My Mini will also eat anything, including beat-up ammo that choked my brother's HBAR. I'd go with one of the Mini-14s in .223Rem/5.56x45mm.

ECS

Latest posts

Top Bottom