Tipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a minimum wage , let the market sort out what a job is worth .
In principle I agree, however in practice it seems to be necessary. Companies being able to manufacture goods overseas with no repercussions for flooding our markets make wage competition impossible, unless we lower the bar for the US standard of living.

Companies to this day hire illegals for tasks and pay them crap wages that taxpayers would not suit up for. This creates a hostile environment for low level taxpaying Americans.

Making the most money for stockholders is the goal, and that's what drives business. The folks directing the companies often let that goal overcome morality or patriotism, and I'm sure an educated fellow like yourself knows of many examples of this.

Checks and balances - fair market versus free market.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In principle I agree, however in practice it seems to be necessary. Companies being able to manufacture goods overseas with no repercussions for flooding our markets make wage competition impossible, unless we lower the bar for the US standard of living.

Companies to this day hire illegals for tasks and pay them crap wages that taxpayers would not suit up for. This creates a hostile environment for low level taxpaying Americans.

Making the most money for stockholders is the goal, and that's what drives business. The folks directing the companies often let that goal overcome morality or patriotism, and I'm sure an educated fellow like yourself knows of many examples of this.

Checks and balances - fair market versus free market.

Your view is lo mein and not centered on the problem of the minimum wage . No minimum wage means companies will be forced to pay what it costs to hire people . Restaurants here are currently paying $3 - $4 an hour above minimum wage to get help I see the signs all the time in windows that has NOTHING to do with the cheap Asian made goods . That means no one is willing to work for the minimum wage at this point in a SERVICE industry. Abolish it

Since as stated above that we mostly have a service economy not a production economy, people are dreaming if they think cheap consumer goods manufacturing is coming back to the US . Most manufacturing in the US is not "consumer goods" At this point we specialize in high tech , and precision industrial equipment which has been largely automated and requires a small skilled labor force not a minimally educated work force. And to that end we are a global leader , everyone has to quit drinking the 70 year old kool aid that manufacturing jobs will come back. Every country goes through a progression of development , at this point we are fully developed country from a business and industry stand point. The chance to stop the bleeding and preserve unskilled labor manufacturing left with Nixon and then later with the Clintons when brother Bill granted most favored nation trading status to China.

As for the illegals

Punish companies who hire illegals , and don't encourage immigration . The US needs to make immigrating to this country as hard or harder than it is to immigrate to New Zealand . Once you do that the illegal problem will mostly go away, illegals go where the path of least resistance takes them. Most illegals who are working in this country are working with forged documents or stolen documents and actually paying taxes though . They get paid the minimum wage

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you all think about fast food restaurants asking you to tip when ordering.

This takes the cake! This is about the funniest thing I’ve seen today.

View attachment 376892
If you're so weak you feel compelled to tip at a self check out...just stay home ffs.

edit- because speeling is hard

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Europe, you don't tip even if you wanted to. It's included in the price of your meal.

This isn’t Europe.

I’ve never understood why when the subject of tipping comes up why chitty tippers even enter the conversation. Being a chitty tipper isn’t a badge of honor to be worn like a medal on one’s chest.

I never understood this; why are people chitty tippers? Is it because they just don’t know, or is it because they are either just tight asses or bad people?

If you get chitty service, it’s okay to leave no or a chitty tip. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m also not taking about tipping at the pizza buffet. I can tell you this, if I go out somewhere decent, and the person/couple I’m with stiffs the server, I don’t go out with them again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom