Tipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll say this, because I came from a generation of service industry people that was VERY different than what you have now.

DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY TIP!! You're doing not doing anyone any favors by feeling sorry for anyone, or pity. Let them earn it. If they earn it, 15-20% or higher if you had a great experience. But kids today think they should be tipped just because they're standing in front of you.
Agree 100% -

And I may be a prick, but if the waiter/waitress gives me any indication that they are politically opposed to my kind, well....ideology comes at a price for us all.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I may be a prick, but if the waiter/waitress gives me any indication that they are politically opposed to my kind, well....ideology comes at a price for us all.

We had to remind staff, no politics, no religion. Plenty of other things to talk about.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Knowledge, timing, presentation. MUCH different. At Chilis, nobody will ask you what year your house box wine is? they won't ask what kind of oil the potatoes are fried in? where did their fish come from? The list goes on. Chilis doesn't time the courses.......they don't pre-bus the table...... etc.
Yeah that's probably true. I guess it would be more accurate to say that a waiter has a very similar experience with me at chilis and mahogany, since I probably won't be asking any of that from anyone.

And that lack of culture probably also explains why my enjoyment of restaurants (after a certain point) is inversely related to their price.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that's probably true. I guess it would be more accurate to say that a waiter has a very similar experience with me at chilis and mahogany, since I probably won't be asking any of that from anyone.

And that lack of culture probably also explains why my enjoyment of restaurants (after a certain point) is inversely related to their price.
Strangely enough most of my dining experiences involve folks that are 1st generation immigrants. They still have some idea of what "service" looks like.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I guess kinda? You don't order the same food @ Chilis vs Mahogany. Most of what Chilis puts out comes in a frozen box or bag.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have left $0.01, because the service wasn't worth $0.02.

My sister waited tables, after her divorce. She had several "regulars" that would tell the Hostess to put them at her table. She made good money.

My son worked at Sonic, cook, 4 years, in the 90s. There was 1 car hop, divorced, early 30s, that served wearing roller skates. Very friendly, always smiling, did a spin when arriving with orders. She would always ask if you received enough napkins, ketchup, salt, paper? And tell you she checked the order TWICE, to be sure it was correct. Her tips averaged over $20 / hr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom