Tipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Good food and service deserves good tips. Tipping before served or for bad service isn’t going to happen from me. The less I eat out the more money I save.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess kinda? You don't order the same food @ Chilis vs Mahogany. Most of what Chilis puts out comes in a frozen box or bag.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the food is comparable. I'm saying I'll look at the menu, place an order and eat it, at both places. Neither staff will likely get food origin or preparation questions from me. So, the staff at mahogany will probably see my table as easy money compared to some.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the food is comparable. I'm saying I'll look at the menu, place an order and eat it, at both places. Neither staff will likely get food origin or preparation questions from me. So, the staff at mahogany will probably see my table as easy money compared to some.

I get it. Usually people go to Mahogany for an experience, people go to Chilis to get fed. What I'm saying by the nature of the food that they serve, it's a different level. For example you don't get a feature presentation @ Chilis. Whether you order it or not, they have to have a fair amount of knowledge about the food and how it's prepared.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a Flowbee cutting system? OR, maybe you built one from an old vacuum?
Nope.
I wet it and pull it up between 2 fingers like a real hair cutter would and take very sharp scissors and cut it.
I have a big mirror I use to see in another mirror behind me to cut the back.
My wife used to cut it but she takes too long and I hate sitting still and she poked my head a few times and about snipped my ear.
I fired her.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope.
I wet it and pull it up between 2 fingers like a real hair cutter would and take very sharp scissors and cut it.
I have a big mirror I use to see in another mirror behind me to cut the back.
My wife used to cut it but she takes too long and I hate sitting still and she poked my head a few times and about snipped my ear.
I fired her.

No tip?

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only ever regretted tipping one time...I was in Dallas in Deep Ellum with friends (5 of us) at a sports bar type place. We Ate/Drank and I paid with CC. I wrote $0 on CC receipt for tip and left $50 cash in the same folder that bill came in and we left. Total was $70ish with tax (apps/beers) but I tipped high as we took at least an hour of servers time even though we didn't spend much. He was very mediocre at best.

Within 20 seconds of leaving, the server came running out literally screaming at me - this is a crowded area so his intent was to embarrass me...I calmly walked back with him as I told him that there was cash left as a tip (I regularly do that so it isn't taxed). When we get back to table I pick up the ticket folder, pull out the $50 bill and he goes silent. I then pulled out my wallet and exchanged the $50 bill for a $10 bill and walked right back out without saying a word.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never been to Europe but it's my understanding that you do not tip there. Servers, waitstaff, are well paid enough, and it's also my understanding that it can be an insult to tip, ugly Americanisms or something like that.

I'm a Ham Radio guy. Most ham radio operators are a bunch of cheap bastards.

I used to go out to morning coffee or other informal gatherings and I got so disgusted the old bastards wouldn't tip. Pissed me off.

They'll sit there for hours, running that poor waitress back and forth for coffee and water refills, just shooting the breeze, tying up the table so it can't be turned and make some money for the business and staff.

When the check comes you can see the cheap old bastards squirm. All I hear is "Oh I'm on a fixed income" and maybe leave a single one dollar bill on the table. I got news for you bastard, most people, of all ages, are on a "fixed income". If you are on salary, or hourly with only so many hours per week, you are on a "fixed income". The only ones not on a "fixed income" are people on commission or who get paid for what they do and how much they do of it.

Anyway, having said that, more than once I've seen the squirming start, nobody wants to get up and leave a ****** tip, waiting for others to do so.

More than once, actually more than you'd think, is for someone to not only not leave a tip, but I've seen these butt-heads stall and wait til everybody else has got up and left, and then butt-head reaches over and grabs the tips on the table.

That's not just thievery, it's out right criminal to run the waitstaff back and forth for no compensation. Don't be a dick!!!

I vivdly recall once as I was leaving the table and walking away I turned back to look and saw this happen, it was right in front of others view!!! What the gall to do some ****** thing like that! I out loud confronted the SOB and told him to put the flippin money back on the table and shame shame shame! Pissed me off.

I no longer go out for morning coffee with these assholes, I am very selective with whom I will sit down with because I know good tips will be left.

As my old friend says "If you want to dance you have to pay the band" and the same is true for eating out. If you are too cheap, or too broke-ass to pay (tip) for what you owe, STAY THE **** HOME!!! And I don;t want to hear this crap about :oh gee I'm on a fixed income, and who can afford these prices?" STF home in your kitchen!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom