Tipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I‘m the same way. As meal prices have increased so has the tip amount.

Yup. And now I'm gonna sound like a double azzhole, but waiters/waitresses know when they are hired how much they are being paid. So the whole "but I only make $2.50 an hour" bullsheet is on them, not the restaurant patron. There are plenty of other jobs out there paying a helluva lot more than waiting tables.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only ever regretted tipping one time...I was in Dallas in Deep Ellum with friends (5 of us) at a sports bar type place. We Ate/Drank and I paid with CC. I wrote $0 on CC receipt for tip and left $50 cash in the same folder that bill came in and we left. Total was $70ish with tax (apps/beers) but I tipped high as we took at least an hour of servers time even though we didn't spend much. He was very mediocre at best.

Within 20 seconds of leaving, the server came running out literally screaming at me - this is a crowded area so his intent was to embarrass me...I calmly walked back with him as I told him that there was cash left as a tip (I regularly do that so it isn't taxed). When we get back to table I pick up the ticket folder, pull out the $50 bill and he goes silent. I then pulled out my wallet and exchanged the $50 bill for a $10 bill and walked right back out without saying a word.
I usually hand tips straight to them, because there are so many bad things that can happen in between. My wife is a waitress currently and she's seen it all! Even other employees will steal it from you.

And he's wrong, he should be fired for that. There's been plenty of time my wife has got zero dollars from 2-3 hours of service. You can't say anything.

Wheelgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m probably an A-hole, and I’m completely fine with that.

I tip usually 10% unless the service is great, then I’ll tip very well. Also able bodied guys don’t get as good of a tip as girls. I get that from my dad.

He, I guess we, are of the belief that they knew what it paid before they took the job, and if they want more go get a different job. Jobs are EVERYWHERE!

There are a few exceptions, the local Mexican restaurant is staffed by guys, never seen a girl working there. They are always happy to see us and service is above and beyond. They get tipped very well.
There is a little local Diner that I sometimes get breakfast in if I’m working in the area, the bill will come to like $6.50, l give the lady a $20 and gladly.

That “fixed income” bs is complete bunk and one of my pet peeves. Everyone with a 8-5/9-5/shift work ect. job is “fixed income”. Very few of us can manipulate what we make week 2 week, and sometimes our week is pretty bad lol.

It’s class warfare bs. Even kagillionaire CEOs are on a “fixed income” if they are salary. My grandpa made more on SS per month than he did the first 28 of 32 yrs he worked at his job.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tipping has gotten out of hand. Counter service, drive thru service, and now self service?? Tipflation is real. Smh.

Can't argue that at all , I am not a fan of tipping but the system we have designed in the US for hospitality has been built around the idea of gratuities as a part of the income of someone working in the business.

In most of Europe tipping is unheard of at restaurants not saying that is a system we want to embrace either though as it would make dining out much more expensive.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they know what the job paid when they took it.

They also know part of the pay structure is tips.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

I don't feel ashamed , but I expect excellent service in exchange for my gratuity. If the service is sub par then not getting a tip is a reminder you need to work on providing better service .

Latest posts

Top Bottom