Uhmmmm ... I'm glad I'm old ... 😐

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bas402

Bolt Shooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in those days, the key was just a two pole switch to complete a circuit that allowed the engine to start. Flip a half or silver dollar under the dash to make contact and the start switch on the floor was armed to start the vehicle.
I hate to say it, but that's how joy riding got started. Not that I'm admitting to anything btw........
I've heard back when that was happening, the peeps just drove it around a bit and returned it unharmed.
Oh I wouldn’t think you would ever be involved in that stuff but…I’m guilty🤣

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 514759

That foot switch to the right of the gas pedal was not an electrical contact switch. The foot stomp six cylinder starter doesn't have a solenoid and relies on your foot pushing the pedal to move the starter drive.
I don't understand this. What makes the starter engage the flywheel? Can that tiny bit of movement stomping start an engine?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand this. What makes the starter engage the flywheel? Can that tiny bit of movement stomping start an engine?
Direct current to the starter vs via a lug under the starter button like on old tractors with a rod to push the button and send current to the windings.
IMG_20240928_122443971.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom