What should we do over bad remodeling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We hired a local contractor to remodel our bathroom. They were recommended by a friend. We have had to have them back to fix small items several times. The grout used on the floor had voids in it that they patched. Now my wife said there were voids showing up in the shower stall walls. The grout seems to be flaking up on the floor. Some of the trim they put in had gaps around it that they just filled with caulking and some of the trim was cut too short and crooked. My wife has been in tears over this a couple of times so I'm looking at having it redone by someone else and suing this contractor to recover the money wasted with him. Do I need to get someone that does house inspections to look at it and give me a statement on how bad of job they did for a court case or what? I've never had to deal with such sorry work before because I usually do all my own work just because of this. My wife thought I was too busy on other projects and hired this outfit to do the work. I'm sure someone on here has had similar problems with contractors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We hired a local contractor to remodel our bathroom. They were recommended by a friend. We have had to have them back to fix small items several times. The grout used on the floor had voids in it that they patched. Now my wife said there were voids showing up in the shower stall walls. The grout seems to be flaking up on the floor. Some of the trim they put in had gaps around it that they just filled with caulking and some of the trim was cut too short and crooked. My wife has been in tears over this a couple of times so I'm looking at having it redone by someone else and suing this contractor to recover the money wasted with him. Do I need to get someone that does house inspections to look at it and give me a statement on how bad of job they did for a court case or what? I've never had to deal with such sorry work before because I usually do all my own work just because of this. My wife thought I was too busy on other projects and hired this outfit to do the work. I'm sure someone on here has had similar problems with contractors.
PM me the contractor if you would. We are getting ready to put in a covered outdoor kitchen. Want to make sure we don't make the same mistake.
Take a ton of pics if you're going the legal action but be aware if they are a bargain remodeler, it will be tough to get blood from a rock. They don't have any assets to get other than tools, but I don't think you can sue for what they make a living from.
I might be able to offer more options if I knew who they were.

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a contractor/tile setter that has been doing remodels for longer than I'd like to admit. Someone had mention LOTS of photos which I think is a great idea. I think what your have its a civil claims case I am not positive. Anyway, it sounds like there is movement in your substrate which happens. If I knew more about the structure, pier and beam or slab foundation? Upstairs or downstairs etc. What is would do is call a couple more contractors and get a couple of quotes and have it fixed. Make sure there are plenty of before hand after pics and also try and get a statement from who you have fix it about the before and during condition of the work. Since they have been out many times ( you have this documented)? They blew their chance at making it right. I'd then contact your county court clerk and ask about civil claim on shoddy work. Make sure whomever gives you quotes knows you recently had it remodeled and believe the substrate is moving. If you are reasonably closed to Ada I'd look at it for you no charge.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was recommended a landscaper by an OSAer earlier this year whom I spent a little under $10k with. They did an AWFUL job that I have since had to spend several thousand more to correct and have completely redone what they attempted to do. At first they would come out after much badgering and sorta kick the can, but eventually they stopped showing up or even replying to me.

I consulted with an attorney and quickly decided I would just eat the money due to the legal costs since it would be over the small claims limit. I would walk away with less than would make it worth it basically. In a lawsuit, you have the burden to prove negligence and unless you’re very skilled at doing that, an attorney is most often needed. I have pics, videos, and text logs and it still may not have been enough. So unless it’s BIG money, it’s usually not worth the effort, even if you win.

Sorry about your experience! Seems a lot of us are learning hard lessons in 2024.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a contractor/tile setter that has been doing remodels for longer than I'd like to admit. Someone had mention LOTS of photos which I think is a great idea. I think what your have its a civil claims case I am not positive. Anyway, it sounds like there is movement in your substrate which happens. If I knew more about the structure, pier and beam or slab foundation? Upstairs or downstairs etc. What is would do is call a couple more contractors and get a couple of quotes and have it fixed. Make sure there are plenty of before hand after pics and also try and get a statement from who you have fix it about the before and during condition of the work. Since they have been out many times ( you have this documented)? They blew their chance at making it right. I'd then contact your county court clerk and ask about civil claim on shoddy work. Make sure whomever gives you quotes knows you recently had it remodeled and believe the substrate is moving. If you are reasonably closed to Ada I'd look at it for you no charge.
It is a single-story house on a slab. The job was finished about two weeks ago. My wife said that when she cleans the floor, it like its dusty each time. Could they have used bad grout? Would voids in the grout be there because they didn't press the grout down between the tiles good enough? I wish you were closer but, we are in Ponca City.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was recommended a landscaper by an OSAer earlier this year whom I spent a little under $10k with. They did an AWFUL job that I have since had to spend several thousand more to correct and have completely redone what they attempted to do. At first they would come out after much badgering and sorta kick the can, but eventually they stopped showing up or even replying to me.

I consulted with an attorney and quickly decided I would just eat the money due to the legal costs since it would be over the small claims limit. I would walk away with less than would make it worth it basically. In a lawsuit, you have the burden to prove negligence and unless you’re very skilled at doing that, an attorney is most often needed. I have pics, videos, and text logs and it still may not have been enough. So unless it’s BIG money, it’s usually not worth the effort, even if you win.

Sorry about your experience! Seems a lot of us are learning hard lessons in 2024.
Thanks for your reply. This is the reason I usually do all my own work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a single-story house on a slab. The job was finished about two weeks ago. My wife said that when she cleans the floor, it like its dusty each time. Could they have used bad grout? Would voids in the grout be there because they didn't press the grout down between the tiles good enough? I wish you were closer but, we are in Ponca City.
They may have not applied sealer on the tile when complete which may account for the dusty look?

Latest posts

Top Bottom