Why can't you all just go the speed limit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GD the balls are draggin in the dirt in this thread.

Highway 51 between Coweta and Tulsa,either way,as it is my way home or to town unless I take 141st to/from 193rd or the Creek,Muskogee Turnpike,etcetc- I always try to drive the speed limit,especially late at night or during non peak hours. But,if its early A.M. or after 4:30p and its heavy traffic then I go with the flow. Stay in the right until I need to pass then go to the left to pass then hurry and get back to the left.

When I get on the BA from 51 near Kenosha heading in to Tulsa its like jumping on the Autobahn,same as 169 or 244 or 44,I get in and merge with the flow of traffic and do whatever theyre doing so I dont get killed. Being in a lifted 4x4 Im ready for anything that comes my way. On the Creek I'm satisfied with the posted speeds. Driving around town in Tulsas inner city though I take my time and try to drive the speed limits or close to it,same as if I'm driving around little assed Coweta. School zones I adhere to strictly. I have kids and know the drill. I-40,I-44,I-69,71,I-35,etcetc if I'm traveling I want to get to my destination safe and without a big ticket so I put the cruise on about 5 over and kick back and cruise to some good music. When going home to California or coming back home and I'm out on that lonely stretch of road on I-80 between the great salt lake,the Bonneville area, and getting close to West Wendover NV, if I'm in my Supra and no one is out on the road in the middle of the night or the middle of the afternoon then I like to see what the car will do. For a few miles,then I'm back down to earth and carry on about my business. Havent killed anyone out there yet in driving that road the last 20 years or more.

Other than that,I think I am a safe and conscientious driver who trys to obey the laws and rules of the road as much as I can. I'm from California, I'm not easily rattled by rude and offensive drivers. I just do what I can to quell the anger of these idiotic road ragers,cause theyz some crazy mothers out there these days. I just smile and go on and try not to piss em off. I have nothing to prove any more these days,did all of that when I was young. I already know I'm a badmuther****er I dont need to prove it. Lollllll. Whatever.

Look. If youve been driving 25 years or more like I have I think by now you know what youre supposed to do and can handle your self and keep your self in check. Its the youngens who are the majority of the speed demons. Just like Im sure alot of us were from 16 to 25. My first car was a 79' Pontiac TransAm w/ 6.6l,so I know I was. Even though my dad was a cop I had alot of roads around San Diego that called to me to come and test that car out. And my driving record back then was a testament to the fact. By the time I had graduated HS and college,then went to work and was commuting around San Francisco and the Bay area, and started having kids,then I also started to slow it down. Then when I moved up north to the Sierra NV mountains I had to go from muscle car driving to 4x4 truck driving and I was introduced to a whole new world of driving. Then when I moved to Iowa,and after my first couple of winters there, I learned real snow driving even though I did alot of it up on the mountain in Cali.

So lighten up Francis's. Some times we all speed a little when we have to but I'm sure most of us most of the time follow the rules.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to slow down, how do I know you're not in the bottom 10%? Maybe we should have different speed limits based on the condition & type of vehicle.

in your opinion I may not be a great driver, but I do just fine and have driven cross country numerous times without issue.

I don't need to slow down now, I do the speed limit and I'm fine. As far as condition of cars and type I have a few but all solid and definitely road worthy. I maintain my vehicles and ensure they aren't a safety risk due to bad ball joints or loose or missing lugs or anything crazy.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in your opinion I may not be a great driver, but I do just fine and have driven cross country numerous times without issue.

I don't need to slow down now, I do the speed limit and I'm fine. As far as condition of cars and type I have a few but all solid and definitely road worthy. I maintain my vehicles and ensure they aren't a safety risk due to bad ball joints or loose or missing lugs or anything crazy.

Well you did have a blowout.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive about 5 over the speed limit at most. But, I am the guy who's yelling at people who are driving UNDER the speed limit in the passing lane, pacing the cars in the other lanes on the highway. I don't care if you want to drive under the speed limit, that's your right. Just don't do it in the inside lane.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sometimes its hard to remember places like McAlester have a 45 mph speed limit on a seperated 4 lane highway in good condition.

Let your mind wander, and get up to the bone crushing, death bringing speed of 55 and BOOM! the little guy with the sun glasses and shaved head will be standing there at your window writing you a ticket that you can pay on the internet for your convenience.

I drove through there daily for a few months and saw it happen every day. Yes, it happened to me once.

I was at the time working with an ex LEO from McAlester and he laughed and said the guy was working on filling his quota.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to slow down, how do I know you're not in the bottom 10%? Maybe we should have different speed limits based on the condition & type of vehicle.

I'm all for "reasonable speeds for the conditions at hand".

I've had a total of two blowouts in my driving history. The first one was due to me trying to save a buck and buying "new" tires in OKC for $25/pop. I was doing ~90 down a hilly and curvy paved county road (plenty of time to see oncoming traffic), and I had the tread on one tire literally come off of the rest of the tire. Sidewalls and actual tire body were still attached to the wheel, tread shot out from the right front fender and over the car in one piece, clean cut. I duro'd the other three after I got the spare on, and come to find out they were hard as a rock. I learned to pay for new tires.

The second blowout was pulling a trailer that was unevenly loaded and slightly overloaded for the tires that were mounted on it. I knew it wasn't a matter of if, but when. Well, sure enough had one of the tires give up on the Kansas Turnpike. Dad's telling me to get hard on the brakes, and I just kept it straight and made a slow easement from the left lane to the shoulder, letting the drag of the trailer and engine do the braking down to 20mph or so.

I do the maintenance on my cars and make sure everything is working exactly as it should. On tires, I buy the OEM size and rated for the maximum speed the car will do, even though I don't really plan on driving those speeds, and I buy them from a local shop that I trust.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey you shade tree mechanics, what are your qualifications to perform vehicle maintenance? The condition of a vehicle running the speed limit on a highway is probably as important as the abilities of the driver of a speeding vehicle.

Don't put my life at risk just so you can save a couple of dollars, do the right thing have your autos professionally maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom