Why can't you all just go the speed limit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those laws (constitutional liberties) you speak of are the ones I was primarily talking about. Just because someone wasn't around when they were penned doesn't make them less valid. There's not a member of the OKC PD that was around when the 4th amendment was drafted, but we'd all scream bloody murder if we were illegally searched/seized.

The same constitution that gave us those protections also allowed us to establish courts and write other laws. Therefore, those laws are constitutionally sound. If you don't like a law, the answer isn't to disregard it, its to try to get it changed. Otherwise you're just whining and don't really care that much.

How is ignoring a law whining? If your LE then you should be thankful for those who violate the little laws like running 65 in a 60, think of it as job security. There is obviously not enough real crime to staff most municipal departments to current levels without traffic violations.

If LE wanted really wanted to make a difference with their traffic code enforcement they'd get off of the highways and get into the subdivisions where they could accomplish two things....
1) Control speeding where children are playing.
2) Display a police presence in the community.

Leave the highways to the HIGHWAY Patrol.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is ignoring a law whining?
Ignoring the law isn't whining, it's breaking the law. Ranting about laws you don't like over the course of a 300+ response thread is whining.

And no...I'm not LE. For the record, I agree that highway enforcement should be left to the highway patrol.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact of the matter is the only reason speed laws are kept so low here in America is the simple fact that without them, many small towns would not have the revenue to survive and larger outfits couldn't afford their shiny new cars and M4 rifles and flak jackets and all the other gadgets they've got nowadays. What happened to the days that the law could be enforced with nothing more than a Colt .44 revolver and a crooked smile?

Lets take a look at Moffett, OK. Most of you probably don't know where this is. It is right on the border of Fort Smith, AR and Oklahoma just off of Hwy 64. They made nearly all of their revenue by patrolling Hwy 64, and writing every single ticket they could write. Their two patrol cars (For a town of like 500 people) stayed busy 24/7, literally pulling one car after another over. After years of complaints the state told them they could no longer patrol Hwy 64, a road that doesn't even come close to their township. Two years later the town was bankrupt, and had to unincorporate itself as a town. The speeding tickets they wrote was that cities lifeblood, as it is for thousands of similar American towns (I can name three just off the top of my head, Eufaula, Kiowa and Haleyville). I even heard stories of Moffett ordering drivers to pay their tickets then and there, or they would be taken to jail until the ticket could be paid, and they would be billed $50 a day for their trouble.

And that is why our speed limits are kept so low. It ain't a public safety thing, it's a 5000% tax kinda thing. If a cop can write one $250 speeding ticket an hour he's paid for him, and his patrol cars gas for that day. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Heck, I got two tickets one week, one in Kiowa, and one in Haleyville. When I went to court over them I was told that I could pay $100 and all of the paperwork would dissapear and it would be like it never even happened. I gladly paid the extra $100 but all that screamed to me was "CROOOOOKS!!"

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ignoring the law isn't whining, it's breaking the law. Ranting about laws you don't like over the course of a 300+ response thread is whining.

And no...I'm not LE. For the record, I agree that highway enforcement should be left to the highway patrol.

Most of the responses in the 300+ haven't been ranting about any laws, there are some we don't like so we willfully break them and willfully accept the consequences that come with being caught. Most of the ranting is coming from the other side.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the responses in the 300+ haven't been ranting about any laws, there are some we don't like so we willfully break them and willfully accept the consequences that come with being caught. Most of the ranting is coming from the other side.

And me trying to fuel the fire :D

You're all just a bunch of whiny babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom