9mm AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An ATF agent spelled it out for me. If you are seen shouldering the tube, you are using it as a stock. Want to stay an anal virgin? Don't shoulder the tube. Sling it tight, cheek the tube, and push forward.

Don't know about the CC, but it seems that to avoid any grey area, a smart guy would buy a receiver already marked "PISTOL" from the manufacturer, if his plan was to mainly carry it as his CC. Is there a size limit (length) to CC? Not a bad idea. Screw a holster. I have a backpack and 20 magazines!!!

Did you get an ATF letter stating that? I have seen a letter before stating that you can fire from the shoulder with an ar15 pistol. Not going to search through all the letters again though.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't shoulder the buffer tube? That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. If it is legally on the gun it's nobody business where you put it. How would they even know? I've never really seen secret agents taking pictures of people shooting their AR pistols.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you get an ATF letter stating that? I have seen a letter before stating that you can fire from the shoulder with an ar15 pistol. Not going to search through all the letters again though.

No letter. I called and asked. My AR would still be a pistol, otherwise.

You can't shoulder the buffer tube? That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard. If it is legally on the gun it's nobody business where you put it. How would they even know? I've never really seen secret agents taking pictures of people shooting their AR pistols.

He said if you shoulder it, you are using it as a shoulder stock. Stupid, yes. Just saying what he told me. He wasn't a local guy. I had a bunch of technical questions, and so they gave me a fellows # in... West Virginia maybe? Anyway. He was very helpful, and understood all the real mechanics of guns (unlike the local guy).

He didn't say they were combing the ranges, looking for guys doing it. He said, "You don't want to get caught doing that."

Hey, shoulder it all you want. Just passing along the info I got from the people that make the rules.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How would they even know? I've never really seen secret agents taking pictures of people shooting their AR pistols.

Actually.... that's my job with the ATF. I'm that agent that travels from gun range to gun range looking for people breaking the rules that our wonderful government has set.
So watch out. You're now on my radar.