Active Self Protection: Tulsa - Unarmed Robbery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just exactly how are you going to tell the difference until it’s way too late for you to act on that difference?

Do the names Rodger Dale Stafford, Jay Wesley Neil and Robert Grady Johnson mean anything to you? They do to me.

How about Lance Thomas? I believe it may be time for you to revisit some of those incidents.

I won’t discuss it with you further, our differences are far to great for any discussion to overcome. So, you do you, and best of luck to you.

It's why you have to study criminal behavior and the criminal justice system, it's no different than any other type of study. If you study you will learn, if you don't study you won't learn. I get that most don't want to spend their spare time doing things that aren't fun or interesting so most don't study and never will prior to an incident and just hope for a positive outcome. It is unfortunate that most aquire their knowledge after the incident, when it's too late to learn how to not be injured, killed, sued into poverty or stay out of prison. Employing deadly force at the right time saves your life, employing deadly force at the wrong time destroys your life. It behooves the armed self defender to know which is which.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to resist criminals because you think it make the world a better place, it wont. Crime and criminals have always been with us and as long as flawed humans run the world criminals will always be with us. If you are going to resist criminals over money or property it will almost always cost you more than what is being stolen. Consider legal fee's alone, if you resist with violent force, any type of violent force, you will be arrested and held until the police can sort out what happened. If you talk to the police without a lawyer being present you are ignorant of the criminal justice system, after being involved in a violent incident the police don't even talk to the police without a lawyer being present. Just having a criminal defense attorney present at questioning can run into the thousands of dollars. Let's say you do engage the unarmed thieves with a firearm and at some point you pull the trigger keep in mind that trained and qualified LEO's miss almost 70% of their shots fired, an untrained person who has no experience dealing with criminals probably won't do better. Are you prepared for the civil and possible legal consequences of missed shots hitting where you hadn't intended. Using deadly force against an unarmed person will almost always result in charges being filed, disparity of force notwithstanding. In the recent Curtis Reeves trial it was shown that the 70 year old Reeves was struck on the head by a much younger taller heavier person standing over the seated Reeves, Reeves responded to the attack with deadly force, a .380 round fired into his attackers heart. Reeves was charged with murder, so much for "disparity of force" being taken into consideration by the Prosecutor. Although the jury saw things differently than the Prosecutor and aquitted Reeves it cost Reeves almost a $1,000,000.00 in legal fee's, so there is that. That's hardly a one off, remember Zimmerman, an even better case for disparity of force and that also resulted in a murder charge and almost $2,000,000.00 in legal fee's. That said, it's up to each person to decide if a few dollars or property is worth risking literally everything.
So many incorrect statements in this post. Let’s just start by being arrested and held while the police sort things out. You are wrong, especially in Oklahoma and other stand your ground states. Most good shoots do not result in any arrest. You are also immune to lawsuits from the bad guys families.

The 70% is a national stat. Oklahomas LEOS hit ratio Is reversed. It’s like comparing the guy in LA that has a gun he only shot once when he bought it 12 years ago to an okie that goes blasting once a month.

Shooting someone in justified self defense would suck. Laying down in the back room and waiting your turn to be shot as they go down the line would be worse.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's why you have to study criminal behavior and the criminal justice system, it's no different than any other type of study. If you study you will learn, if you don't study you won't learn. I get that most don't want to spend their spare time doing things that aren't fun or interesting so most don't study and never will prior to an incident and just hope for a positive outcome. It is unfortunate that most aquire their knowledge after the incident, when it's too late to learn how to not be injured, killed, sued into poverty or stay out of prison. Employing deadly force at the right time saves your life, employing deadly force at the wrong time destroys your life. It behooves the armed self defender to know which is which.

For someone who is passively playing like you are smarter than everyone else, you sure are wrong about a lot. Seems like you are spouting anti gun/self defense rhetoric to me.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Good. Lord.

Have a great day. Be safe out there.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to say this as nice as I can and ask...... are you THAT naive? or are you just completely unaware that situations can turn south VERY quickly....

I mean unless you can read minds... you probably need to stop talking.

So how would have you responded to the incident in the video.

Remember the five elements required for justifiable self defense: innocence, imminence, proportionality, reasonableness and avoidance.

We can discard innocence and avoidence

In the eye's of the law, not your eye's but the eyes's of the law, (it's not really a win if you end up locked in a cage with worse people than you were attempting defend against) was imminence, proportionality and reasonableness present to justify a deadly force response.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For someone who is passively playing like you are smarter than everyone else, you sure are wrong about a lot. Seems like you are spouting anti gun/self defense rhetoric to me.
What am I wrong about, educate me.

Being anti gun and anti self defense is pretty funny, let's talk about guns and self defense, I'll try to keep up with you.

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll admit that my own point of view on this has some immediate differences to Ricco's, which obviously effects my attitude about it. I do believe that over-thinking a possible scenario is unhealthy for a defensive mindset, and a defensive mindset is what protects society from predators. Speaking of human predators...I DO have experience, and if you believe that you'll have time to psychoanalyze a violent criminal.... You've already watched too many videos.

Assuming ANYTHING other than the worst during a violent encounter is a huge mistake.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how would have you responded to the incident in the video.

Remember the five elements required for justifiable self defense: innocence, imminence, proportionality, reasonableness and avoidance.

We can discard innocence and avoidence

In the eye's of the law, not your eye's but the eyes's of the law, (it's not really a win if you end up locked in a cage with worse people than you were attempting defend against) was imminence, proportionality and reasonableness present to justify a deadly force response.

It's mental masturbation to sit here and talk about how I would respond, as I would not be in a position to be completely unarmed if I owned a dispensary.

Look you want to get into coulda, shoulda, woulda, on a scenario where it fits your argument. You're not getting it. How do you know when someone is just there to rob you? or even then, how do you know they won't take an opportunity to assault your wife? Are you going to dig out some books and studies and show them how wrong they are?

Either way, I'm talking about your mentality. The notion that you can completely rely upon whatever intuition you believe you have, that you can tell when someone is just there to rob you, is ignorant, with regards to how the real world works anyways.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong, this was a money crime not a violent crime until the bad guys met resistance.

What am I wrong about, educate me.

Being anti gun and anti self defense is pretty funny, let's talk about guns and self defense, I'll try to keep up with you.

Well, first of all robbery by force or fear is considered a violent crime in the eyes of the law, so there's that.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll admit that my own point of view on this has some immediate differences to Ricco's, which obviously effects my attitude about it. I do believe that over-thinking a possible scenario is unhealthy for a defensive mindset, and a defensive mindset is what protects society from predators. Speaking of human predators...I DO have experience, and if you believe that you'll have time to psychoanalyze a violent criminal.... You've already watched too many videos.

Assuming ANYTHING other than the worst during a violent encounter is a huge mistake.
And that is the point to this conversation.

In the video the victims showed nothing in the way of preparation. They didn't over-think it, they didn't think about it at all. The incident didn't turn violent until they made it violent and the criminals responded with more violence. The victims showed no indication of any self defense skills, they temporarily bought into the right makes might fallacy. Once the unarmed criminals had made their intentions clear the victims could have reasonably and proportionality responded with empty hand skills or OC and been legally justified. The right to protect property exists but not with deadly force.

"Assuming ANYTHING other than the worst during a violent encounter is a huge mistake"

The criminal dictates the level of violence, your response has to be proportional to be legal. Simply assuming the criminal will use deadly force is dangerous legally, your deadly force response to what may be a non deadly force attack may not be legally justified. If you initiate deadly force prior to the attack you could put yourself in legal jeopardy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom