AR-15 Pistol Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to get advice on a good AR-15 pistol in 9mm. Anyone have experience with them? I'd like to use it as a home defense weapon. So far I've only looked at RRA. Any other good AR pistol brands? I want something small (7.5 inch barrel) that I can use around the house (for those bumps in the night). Anyone have major issues with the reliability of this platform? I like 9mm...because I can shoot it at my pistol range without having to make a long trip to H&H. I recently bought an MP5, which I really like, but the accessories are very limited and expensive. AR pistols seem more practical. What do you folks think?

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't get the reasoning behind a AR15 pistol. If it's just a fun gun for the range, I guess that might be one purpose for it. But for a home defense gun that you can draw, shoot fast and accurate with, there are a whole lot of better choices.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess what I'm looking for is a SBR (pistol type) without the tax stamp..any suggestions? I'm fickle I guess..I buy a certain type of gun one day, and want something else the next. It's my beautiful addiction.

Okay...Okay...how about the KRISS SDP?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a limited use for AR pistols. Beyond a range playtoy, perhaps as a substitute for an SBR in vehicle operations in states where SBR's are outlawed. I would never use a 7.5" 5.56 inside a structure without earpro or a can. If you really want to have a maneuverable firearm more potent than a handgun for HD, perhaps an 8" in 300BLK?

I've always wondered if a short barreled AR pistol would work with an A2 tube (tube only, no stock). At least that way you could shoulder the thing and get a fair cheek weld?

Personally, I'll stick with this: :)

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_1157.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
8" SBR in .300 blackout lobbing 220gr corbons down the hall. That's your home defense ticket right there.

I see no practical application for the ar pistol.

I wouldn't use subs. They're not going to be as effective as standard loads in the 2000+fps range.

I missed the part where it was a pistol AR in 9mm. If you're only going to use 9mm, get a G-34 or 17L and you'll get all the 9mm can give in a much handier platform. Besides, the AR in 9mm is blowback operated, which blows. Literally. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom