AR-15 Pistol Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to sell a SBR'd lower, the buyer fills out a form 4 and writes DOJ a check for $200. Once the transfer is approved, it becomes cash and carry. Another option would be to mail ATF a letter indicating that you're returning the gun to Title 1 status, whereby they'll remove it from the registry like GTG said.

It is not like selling something here on the classifieds, it is actually a lot better because the people that own registered firearms tend to not be ****ing idiots.

You're not helping the case of going SBR with these comments :wink2: Having to fill out a form 4, and add $200 to the cost of doing business, then have to wait until the transfer is approved... you'd have to really want the SBR. I'm not of that mindset, so I'm not all that keen to go that route. As for selling here and having unpleasant experiences, I'm guessing you were unfortunate enough to run into such a prospective buyer. I haven't, so it's not been an issue for me.

To the OP, my apologies for derailing your thread! :offtopic2: :sorry1:

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're not helping the case of going SBR with these comments :wink2: Having to fill out a form 4, and add $200 to the cost of doing business, then have to wait until the transfer is approved... you'd have to really want the SBR. I'm not of that mindset, so I'm not all that keen to go that route. As for selling here and having unpleasant experiences, I'm guessing you were unfortunate enough to run into such a prospective buyer. I haven't, so it's not been an issue for me.

To the OP, my apologies for derailing your thread! :offtopic2: :sorry1:

No problem. It's all relevent.

Now back to the facts. Why not use an AR 9mm pistol for home defense? I use a Sig 226 9mm for HD. Would an RRA AR pistol in 9mm be unreliable? Seems like using the buffer tube as a stock would make it pretty easy to control. Ballistically how would a AR in 9mm be any less effective than a 9mm handgun? Come on folks, give me some facts and first-hand knowledge.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure ballistically the AR 9mm works just as good as any 9mm handgun. But the handling in a home defence situation will not be near as good as your Sig. Not to mention I think finding a holster could be tough.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure ballistically the AR 9mm works just as good as any 9mm handgun. But the handling in a home defence situation will not be near as good as your Sig. Not to mention I think finding a holster could be tough.

See that's exactly why I'm wondering why there are so many haters. I know from shooting the MP5 that it makes a great bedside gun. It's nice and small and easy to control. Shoots more accuratly than a pistol, especially with an eotech on top. No problem with capacity with 30 plus rounds. No need for a holster...just a single point sling. Why would an AR pistol from a well known manufacturer be any less reliable?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See that's exactly why I'm wondering why there are so many haters. I know from shooting the MP5 that it makes a great bedside gun. It's nice and small and easy to control. Shoots more accuratly than a pistol, especially with an eotech on top. No problem with capacity with 30 plus rounds. No need for a holster...just a single point sling. Why would an AR pistol from a well known manufacturer be any less reliable?

The MP5 is a delayed blowback, roller locking mechanism. A 5.56 AR is a direct gas impingement closed breach mechanism. A 9mm AR is straight blowback with no retardation other than the bolt and buffer weight. It will have more recoil than either the MP5 or the 5.56 AR as a result. When you look at submachinegun competitions, the 9mm AR should be a runaway favorite, but it's not. All I'm saying is that if you're giving up the maneuverability of a pistol, you should be getting more in return than a 9mm AR offers.

For a good source of ballistic performance and barrier vs. non-barrier blind ammo and calibers, take a look at this:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MP5 is a delayed blowback, roller locking mechanism. A 5.56 AR is a direct gas impingement closed breach mechanism. A 9mm AR is straight blowback with no retardation other than the bolt and buffer weight. It will have more recoil than either the MP5 or the 5.56 AR as a result. When you look at submachinegun competitions, the 9mm AR should be a runaway favorite, but it's not. All I'm saying is that if you're giving up the maneuverability of a pistol, you should be getting more in return than a 9mm AR offers.

For a good source of ballistic performance and barrier vs. non-barrier blind ammo and calibers, take a look at this:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Ahhhhh. OK. I understand now! Makes sense. I definately don't want added recoil. Doesn't sound good for accurate follow-up shots. Thanks for the explanation!

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think what most people are trying to say is that pistol caliber carbines are fine, but when you cut them down to make a pistol out of them, the results are kinda funky.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The value of an AR pistol is in the use of a rifle cartridge. This is especially true if using 6.8 spc, 6.5, .300, etc. To get one in a pistol caliber would, in my opinion, be just plain silly and completely defeat the purpose. You'd get all the headaches of the AR platform with none of the benefits. A traditional 9mm pistol would be far superior in all regards. You can even get 30rd mags for many 9mm pistols.

Latest posts

Top Bottom