AR-15 Pistol Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't beat around the bush. Join the club and get an SBR, you'll be glad you did.

But would you still recommend this route if you're in the habit of buying, trying out, and selling firearms? I'd think it would be harder to sell a SBR than an AR pistol or other non-NFA AR... correct?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. You can build things up to be as easy or difficult as you want. If what you want is a SBR, buy one. You can't take it or the money you pay for it with you when your time is up on Earth anyway. Might as well get what you want while you're here.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you can put it to your shoulder its a sbr no matter what the "stock" looks like.

I hate to be disagreeable, but that is not correct. A buffer tube alone does not a stock make. All you need to do is look at an AR pistol tube with a foam cover on it and no mounting hardware to attach a stock and that's perfectly legal according to ATF. The carbine tube (sans stock position bar) is too short to get a really good cheek weld and proper position on, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I'd imagine on an A1/A2 rifle tube, you'd have to permanently fill the threaded hole used to mount the stock with. A 5.56 AR doesn't have enough recoil to make a 1.14" diameter tube placed in the shoulder pocket unbearable.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But would you still recommend this route if you're in the habit of buying, trying out, and selling firearms? I'd think it would be harder to sell a SBR than an AR pistol or other non-NFA AR... correct?

Yes. It's not that hard to sell a decent SBR and intra-state, you can do it yourself. No dealer necessary. Besides, only the lower is NFA registered, and those are pretty cheap. If necessary, you can sell your SBR upper to someone doing their own SBR and either de-register your lower and use it for something else, or chop it and get another.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_photobucket_3206_1327015209979.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. It's not that hard to sell a decent SBR and intra-state, you can do it yourself. No dealer necessary. Besides, only the lower is NFA registered, and those are pretty cheap. If necessary, you can sell your SBR upper to someone doing their own SBR and either de-register your lower and use it for something else, or chop it and get another.

But you do still have to do paperwork and tell the ATF what you're doing, correct? And isn't there a wait period of a month or more until the buyer's ATF paperwork is processed and approved and a tax stamp issued for the whole SBR? I can't imagine it's like selling a plain AR in a FTF or at a gun show - buyer inspects it, money changes hands, hands are shaken, and both parties go their own ways - done.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to sell a SBR'd lower, the buyer fills out a form 4 and writes DOJ a check for $200. Once the transfer is approved, it becomes cash and carry. Another option would be to mail ATF a letter indicating that you're returning the gun to Title 1 status, whereby they'll remove it from the registry like GTG said.

It is not like selling something here on the classifieds, it is actually a lot better because the people that own registered firearms tend to not be ****ing idiots.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a AR Pistol would make a darn fine home defense weapon. I built an 8" 300BLK pistol and just after completing it I turned in the SBR paperwork. Either way though, it would be an ideal short range gun. With a light/laser and a two-point sling, it would be very easy to maneuver. I think without the stock the shooting position would change to more of a push out stance but the sling could help that out. Adding a suppressor and subsonic ammo would be ideal for defending your home with unprotected ears. 30rd mags? Yes please!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to sell a SBR'd lower, the buyer fills out a form 4 and writes DOJ a check for $200. Once the transfer is approved, it becomes cash and carry. Another option would be to mail ATF a letter indicating that you're returning the gun to Title 1 status, whereby they'll remove it from the registry like GTG said.

It is not like selling something here on the classifieds, it is actually a lot better because the people that own registered firearms tend to not be ****ing idiots.

Just to clarify, nothing is ever actually removed from the NFA Registry. They would simply annotate that the SBR has been returned to title 1 configuration, but that serial number would remain in the registry. It is not an issue for anyone to worry about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom