HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Col. Ludlow, you need to think outside the box!
If I'm out brushhogging on my tractor or mending fence or feeding livestock on my land or someone elses.
I must carry concealed. its uncomfortable! I would much rather carry in a hip holster
for snakes, rabid animals 2 or 4 legged, etc. Its not hunting! so therefore it is currently illegal.
There are many other instances where open carry is needed by people when not in the big cities.

Currently if you have an accidental exposure or printing, you can and will be charged with
"brandishing a firearm" and risk losing your ccw permit.
This law will fix that. Hopefully.
More than one on this forum has had that happen.
The guy in Stillwater riding his motorcycle and his shirt blew up is one that comes to mind.

Last edited:

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WARNING, sarcasm and humor contained in this post may not be suitable for all readers!

Open carry should be for uniformed officers only.

etc, etc, etc

Fire extinguishers should be for uniformed firefighters only.

Regular citizens not in uniform openly presenting a fire extinguisher raise more questions than answers. Is this person trained properly? Are theyhot-headed? Why are they displaying a fire extinguisher? Does he think I just looked at his matches? What if he's on medication?

In most circumstances, if you are worthy of carrying a fire extinguisher, your awareness will alert you if someone is about to start a fire (Smokey Bear stuff).

The issue is you take your options off the table when you openly carry a fire extinguisher. You present yourself as an unqualified firefighter.

:wink2:

Last edited:
D

daddyof3_101

warning, sarcasm and humor contained in this post may not be suitable for all readers!

fire extinguishers should be for uniformed firefighters only.

Regular citizens not in uniform openly presenting a fire extinguisher raise more questions than answers. Is this person trained properly? Are theyhot-headed? Why are they displaying a fire extinguisher? Does he think i just looked at his matches? What if he's on medication?

In most circumstances, if you are worthy of carrying a fire extinguisher, your awareness will alert you if someone is about to start a fire (smokey bear stuff).

The issue is you take your options off the table when you openly carry a fire extinguisher. You present yourself as an unqualified firefighter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Col. Ludlow, welcome to the site. It's not always so contentious; you just picked on an open (no pun intended) sore.

It'll scab over soon, one way or another.

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess several have missed my point. So I'll expand upon it. I guess I don't really disagree that it should be a citizen's right to open carry. I meant that open carry is not an intelligent way to protect yourself and your family. Uniformed officers are already marked to stand out, and their identification as law enforcement furthers the penalties for confrontation with them, and ups the deterrent level. They should be openly armed.

Regular citizens not in uniform openly presenting a firearm raise more questions than answers. Is this person trained properly? Are they hot-headed? Why are they displaying a weapon? Does he think I just looked at his wife? What if he's on medication?

I think we will see most people in public shy away from open carry individuals. These people carrying a weapon may incorrectly interpret this as a sign of respect, or unnecessary fear, however the typical attitude will be to treat them similar to the way one would treat a teenager in a car with a super loud radio. Its not something rational, and the potential for argument is present, so just step away from them and try to go the other way.

For someone to open carry in a general setting, like say, a Wal-Mart, I think that person is going to have a borderline autistic syndrome very similar to that of the young man with the loud stereo, or large spoiler on the back of his Honda Civic. You are pretending to be something that you are not.

You are definitely not going to be fast drawing on someone in the nick of time to save the day. In most circumstances, if you are worthy of carrying a firearm, your awareness will alert you if someone is about to threaten you (Jeff Cooper stuff). The situation I mention of 'having more time to consider one's options from concealment' means that if I'm in line at the grocery store, and some guy starts waving a gun at the cashier, I'm going to have the option of turning around with my family, and leaving out the back door. If that route is blocked, then yes, I do actually have a Kel Tec P3at in my pocket. Or, if I think a clear opportunity is present, I may end the confrontation. It is my option.

See that's why I carry a gun. I am not law enforcement, and I do not want to pretend to be. I carry a gun everyday, everywhere, for the sole purpose of making it back home to my family. And if I were in the lane next to the one being robbed, and suddenly a gunfight erupted between the robber and some plainclothes citizen, I'd be pretty ticked off at both of them. If you guys want to pretend you're action heroes, well, if I see you open carrying, like I mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep my distance. Because trouble is going to follow you, not me.

The BS your putting out don't make any sense at all. Are you afraid of the sight of guns? If you are maybe its time to sell yours and just depend on the uniformed people to keep you and your family safe, since you think only they are the only ones trained to be responsible. I can only hope you do keep your distance from people who would open carry. You might be closer to the bad guys then you think, they may keep their distance to. Just give us the facts, figures and any real information on what your saying that can support your claims from the states that have open carry laws, we are waiting.

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Col. Ludlow said:
I guess several have missed my point. So I'll expand upon it. I guess I don't really disagree that it should be a citizen's right to open carry. I meant that open carry is not an intelligent way to protect yourself and your family. Uniformed officers are already marked to stand out, and their identification as law enforcement furthers the penalties for confrontation with them, and ups the deterrent level. They should be openly armed.

Regular citizens not in uniform openly presenting a firearm raise more questions than answers. Is this person trained properly? Are they hot-headed? Why are they displaying a weapon? Does he think I just looked at his wife? What if he's on medication?

I think we will see most people in public shy away from open carry individuals. These people carrying a weapon may incorrectly interpret this as a sign of respect, or unnecessary fear, however the typical attitude will be to treat them similar to the way one would treat a teenager in a car with a super loud radio. Its not something rational, and the potential for argument is present, so just step away from them and try to go the other way.

For someone to open carry in a general setting, like say, a Wal-Mart, I think that person is going to have a borderline autistic syndrome very similar to that of the young man with the loud stereo, or large spoiler on the back of his Honda Civic. You are pretending to be something that you are not.

You are definitely not going to be fast drawing on someone in the nick of time to save the day. In most circumstances, if you are worthy of carrying a firearm, your awareness will alert you if someone is about to threaten you (Jeff Cooper stuff). The situation I mention of 'having more time to consider one's options from concealment' means that if I'm in line at the grocery store, and some guy starts waving a gun at the cashier, I'm going to have the option of turning around with my family, and leaving out the back door. If that route is blocked, then yes, I do actually have a Kel Tec P3at in my pocket. Or, if I think a clear opportunity is present, I may end the confrontation. It is my option.

See that's why I carry a gun. I am not law enforcement, and I do not want to pretend to be. I carry a gun everyday, everywhere, for the sole purpose of making it back home to my family. And if I were in the lane next to the one being robbed, and suddenly a gunfight erupted between the robber and some plainclothes citizen, I'd be pretty ticked off at both of them. If you guys want to pretend you're action heroes, well, if I see you open carrying, like I mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep my distance. Because trouble is going to follow you, not me.

Blood will reign from the sky.... Raining blood!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WARNING, sarcasm and humor contained in this post may not be suitable for all readers!

Fire extinguishers should be for uniformed firefighters only.

Regular citizens not in uniform openly presenting a fire extinguisher raise more questions than answers. Is this person trained properly? Are theyhot-headed? Why are they displaying a fire extinguisher? Does he think I just looked at his matches? What if he's on medication?

In most circumstances, if you are worthy of carrying a fire extinguisher, your awareness will alert you if someone is about to start a fire (Smokey Bear stuff).

I like it! Vote for post of the day!

Latest posts

Top Bottom