HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a automated update on HB2522...

5/18/12 CCR Submitted and Title has been restored!

I don't know exactly what this means.. but apparently it isn't completely dead yet.

Conference Committee Substitute--

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12 COMMITTEE SUBS/HCCS/HB2522 CCS.DOC

Committe Report--

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12 COMMITTEE REPORTS/House/CCR Combined/HB2522 CCR.DOC

Unless they left a bunch of wording out, all the bill does now is granted carry rights to the Attorney General and Assistant Attorney Generals to carry a firearm anywhere in the state as long as they complete training. Nothing else in the bill.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they left a bunch of wording out, all the bill does now is granted carry rights to the Attorney General and Assistant Attorney Generals to carry a firearm anywhere in the state as long as they complete training.

The part about the Atty General & assistants is what the committee agreed on and is sending back to the 2 houses. The original title was restored.. so as far as I can see.. HB2522 mirrors SB1733 except for the above language. I think if passed.. it just gets combined with SB1733 into the updated SDA.

Figuring this out is like untangling a birds nest for me... so I could be wrong!

The below link should take you to the current version of HB2522.. you have to scan down a little bit to get to it.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12 SUPPORT DOCUMENTS/SCHEDULED CCR/House/HB2522 CCR A.DOC

I think in a round about way this part about the Atty General & assistants just becomes a amendment to SB1733

Last edited:

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That Conference Committee Substitute is dated 5/11. The one with just the language about the Attorney General and Assistant Attorney Generals is date 5/18.

This is the link to the new Conference Committee Substitute. If you read the first part of the report, you see this : That the Senate recede from its Senate Amendment No. 1 and that the attached Conference Committee Substitute be adopted. So I think they have gutted HB2522 since SB1733 passed and have added this language instead. This seems to also be validated by the story you linked.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title has been restored

Assuming this is the part you weren't sure what it meant...

There are two ways to have a political gaming vote on a bill - striking the title (that summary paragraph at the very top that says "Amends... Adds new law..."), or striking the enacting clause ("BE IT ENACTED BY THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA"). If either of those are missing from a bill, it cannot be accepted by the Governor's office as it is not a legally formatted bill.

Why is this political gaming? Because it allows our esteemed friends at the Capitol to take a merely symbolic vote and "truthfully" claim that "we voted to pass it, but the Governor wouldn't accept the bill". The average sheeple will buy that line of bovine excrement because they don't know that the Governor was legally prohibited from even receiving the illegally formatted bill.

It could be argued that such votes are unconstitutional under the Constitution of the State of Oklahoma, but they already disregard the Constitution with their other proceedings so why expect them to follow the Constitution here?

On a side note, ever notice that so many "states' rights" activists focus on relatively minor violations of the federal Constitution while ignoring major violations of their own state's Constitution? Or what about those "states' rights" activists that argue so heavily against incorporation doctrine except in the specific case of the Second Amendment?

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming this is the part you weren't sure what it meant...

There are two ways to have a political gaming vote on a bill - striking the title (that summary paragraph at the very top that says "Amends... Adds new law..."), or striking the enacting clause ("BE IT ENACTED BY THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA"). If either of those are missing from a bill, it cannot be accepted by the Governor's office as it is not a legally formatted bill.

The original title was restored and SB2522 now mirrors SB1733 but with the addition of the part about the Atty General and Assts. If I didn't put the link in this thread then its in another that I posted the bill.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
interesting: House floor amendment 5/21/12

"MR. SPEAKER: I move that House Bill 2522 be committed back to the committee of origin with the following instructions:

1. Authorize members of the Oklahoma House of Representatives and Oklahoma Senate to carry a firearm on his or her person anywhere in the state of Oklahoma pursuant to the provisions provided for in House Bill 2522."

Latest posts

Top Bottom