I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok....so after reading this whole thread starting yesterday up until today, I think I have what you are looking for.

Congratulations, you are better than us.

There, feel better? I get the whole "Getting away" thing, and nothing is better than being alone in the woods, but you have done nothing but rub it in our face how much tougher you are than us, and call us a bunch of pansies. Go have fun in the mountains, get home safe and show us some pics, but stop with the attitude towards people just trying to be of some help.....

Do I make you feel inferior?
I'm sorry if I did, I'm no better than anyone else, anybody can do this with the proper mindset.
I just wanted to share my plans with the fine folks on here and get a few tips afterall this is the perfect place to get advice in this area. I appriciate the positive feedback that I recieved and I did not expect the negative comments from a few people. I mean come on..."dog abuser" "wife negelecter" "EVIL!"
I'm just a down to earth, somewhat excentric, non-spelling, social noncomformist who is going to do something that thousands of people do every year, so that I can achieve a little peace of mind after a very long and stressful year, and some people are dogging me for that.
Who has the bad attitude here me or you?

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BINGO
If you want to do the do or die thing more power to ya, but at least take a beacon with you and switch it on before you die so the hundred or so people that will come looking for you don't have to spend weeks away from those that they love looking for a needle in a haystack.

You people act like I'm walking into the fires of hell, I'm sure all of the people on here that are familiar that area and this type of activity are laughing thier asses off at your dumbass comments.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cliff Notes:

-Dude is going on a 127 mile solo hike on the Colorado Trail.
-Dude seems a bit high strung.
-Dude gets criticized, deservedly or undeservedly. Nobody knows.
-A few people make his hike out to be more dangerous than it is.

Have fun dude, take lots of pictures! I'm sure thousands of hippies have survived 127 miles on the Appalachian on nothing more than weed, granola bars, puddle water, and what they stole from real hikers while they were sleeping. I'm sure you'll be fine on this one. :D

Your schedule doesn't seem all that slow of a pace to me all things considered, but I'm not knowledgeable in long hikes at all. Or the weather/conditions terrain there for that matter.

(A PLB is not a bad idea though. Stuff does happen. Or at least inform the rangers when you are going to return, but I'm sure you'd do that anyways.)

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what the guy is doing. Granted it isn't for everyone, but he is really challenging himself to succees on a once in a lifetime challenge. I agree with challenging oneself, but within limits.

One of the strongest guys I know broke his leg at my families cabin a few years ago. Not having any form of lifeline is ridiculous, but it's his trip. To me it sounds like he doesn't want to come back. I married a very headstrong woman and I do believe I wouldn't get out of the door without her killing me prior to leaving on this trip.

1. Unknown area (looking at satellite pics isn't the same)
2. Unrealistic expectations (hunting for food and hiking 9 miles a day for two weeks straight)
3. No lifeline (flat out ridiculous. Not I'm trying not to call any names)

Just my .02.

Of coarse I want to come back..I have a wonderful life..

1. The colorado trail is a very well known, well marked and maintained trail that runs 500 miles from denver to durango, this is all done by for free by people that live all along the route, most people hike the entire trail in 4-6 weeks, I'm only doing a small 127 mile section, kinda wimpy compared to some of these other people. there are other people called "trail angels" that provide hikers with rides back thier vehicles, and for through hikers they bring supplies to different points along the trail

2.I will be bringing dehydrated food of coarse, I will supliment these with small game and fish,afterall thats half the fun isn't it.

3.I am my lifeline.

I understand that different people have different lifestyles and that a lot of peoples comments come from a lack of being exposed to these kinda situations

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also...A lot of people don't realize that their life is in more danger every time they step out their front door than mine will be out there. Out there I'm not going to get killed by a drunk driver, a carjacker, a home invaider or some crackhead trying to get his next fix.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cliff Notes:

-Dude is going on a 127 mile solo hike on the Colorado Trail.
-Dude gets criticized, deservedly or undeservedly. Nobody knows.
-A few people make his hike out to be more dangerous than it is.

Have fun dude, take lots of pictures! I'm sure thousands of hippies have survived 127 miles on the Appalachian on nothing more than weed, granola bars, puddle water, and what they stole from real hikers while they were sleeping. I'm sure you'll be fine on this one. :D

Your schedule doesn't seem all that slow of a pace to me all things considered, but I'm not knowledgeable in long hikes at all. Or the weather/conditions terrain there for that matter.

(A PLB is not a bad idea though. Stuff does happen. Or at least inform the rangers when you are going to return, but I'm sure you'd do that anyways.)

Crap!! I forgot the weed and granola......

I would'nt say high strung...I like to call it as i see it when i can, :preocc:

Could be the red bulls

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
O.K. Now.....Back to business, I 've got all my gear laid out all over the living room in order of how it will be packed( I will pack it for the final time thursday night) and am going to dare to post some pictures to get some feedback on my setup.
Question. How do post the nice big pictures that I see on other threads, when I post pictures all I can get are the little thumbnail pics ?
can somebody help me out with this?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is my point exactly... I have to get away from the tired,stressed,angry and intolerant person that I have become, I want to go out and reset and get in touch with the person that I really am and want to be.
many people do this in a number of different ways, this just happens to be my way.
Believe me.. I will leave myself at the trailhead and I will come back a new man(which is good because the old one is about worn out).

Yeah. I know the feeling. Wasn't trying to be an azz, but leaving a route and ETA is always a good idea. Narrows down the search area IF you become a SAR case. I know I would not try at 49 things that I never gave a second thought at 29 or even 39 without a plan. Don't know if the gizmos will help, but a route plan with phase lines is something you know about already.

Absolutely your call.

I still say the needy will still be needy when you return.:igetit:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you going to keep a detailed log? One that covers gear taken, gear actually used, miles covered per day etc...?

That would be great to see posted when you are back...for anyone else considering the same type of journey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom