I'm buggin' out!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I truly hope that the two weeks in the "bush" is enough time for you to figure out what is wrong... And don't tell me nothing is wrong. That is the whole point of this thread is you asking for help. This is no different that a guy/gal swallowing a bottle of pills and calling 911. The only variation is that you are going to subject dozens of rescuers and LE, Fire, Volunteers, etc to untold hours of hardship looking for your dumbass if you happen to snap an ankle or slip and fall in a crevasse or just flat out cant hack it.
Look, We all have too much going on and get to out wits end occasionally, but if you truly love your family, friends, and yourself... at least make arrangements to signal someone if you don't walk out. It is the responsible thing to do.

roknruin1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "fools on here" are encouraging him not to be foolish...I think that shows more support for him than just someone stating that they support him....

Considering everything i have seen on this post, i believe him far more than capable of doing this. He isnt some teenager thats trying to go march around in the woods for 2 weeks. I mean seriously guys if this man was a fool he probably wouldnt have a good enough marriage for his wife to allow him to do this, wouldnt have ranger training, wouldnt have taken a long hike before in a different country. Fools dont get anywhere in life because hmm i wonder.. they are fools. A man knows his own personal limits and if he's sure that he can handle this than encourage him to do it! He wants support from the OSA members and i say we should give it to him, not discourage the fact that a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what the guy is doing. Granted it isn't for everyone, but he is really challenging himself to succees on a once in a lifetime challenge. I agree with challenging oneself, but within limits.

One of the strongest guys I know broke his leg at my families cabin a few years ago. Not having any form of lifeline is ridiculous, but it's his trip. To me it sounds like he doesn't want to come back. I married a very headstrong woman and I do believe I wouldn't get out of the door without her killing me prior to leaving on this trip.

1. Unknown area (looking at satellite pics isn't the same)
2. Unrealistic expectations (hunting for food and hiking 9 miles a day for two weeks straight)
3. No lifeline (flat out ridiculous. Not I'm trying not to call any names)

Just my .02.

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only variation is that you are going to subject dozens of rescuers and LE, Fire, Volunteers, etc to untold hours of hardship looking for your dumbass if you happen to snap an ankle or slip and fall in a crevasse or just flat out cant hack it.
Look, We all have too much going on and get to out wits end occasionally, but if you truly love your family, friends, and yourself... at least make arrangements to signal someone if you don't walk out. It is the responsible thing to do.

BINGO
If you want to do the do or die thing more power to ya, but at least take a beacon with you and switch it on before you die so the hundred or so people that will come looking for you don't have to spend weeks away from those that they love looking for a needle in a haystack.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like the trip will help you. Be careful out there and plan accordingly to the weather especially. If you want to go back after the spring thaw hit me up and I will make the trip.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I said god's hands It was a metaphore for "fate", I'm not going out there to test "God"..I,m not going out there naked hoping that if God wants me to live, he will send me an angel with a parka.
I just find it very cleansing and spiritual (not in a religious way) to withdraw from society and do some soul searching, and for me the best way to do that is to go into the wilderness during adverse conditions, putting it all on the line, observe, adapt and overcome.
You never feel more alive than when you have faced death and conquered it.
Thats why it it often called a vision quest because you go out there to see who you really are.
I don't have a "death wish" I have a "life wish".
I guess most people can't understand this because they have never done anything that is'nt climate controled.The wilderness is not something to be feared it is something to be worshiped.. after all we are of the wilderness, I think to many people have forgotten this.

Ok....so after reading this whole thread starting yesterday up until today, I think I have what you are looking for.

Congratulations, you are better than us.

There, feel better? I get the whole "Getting away" thing, and nothing is better than being alone in the woods, but you have done nothing but rub it in our face how much tougher you are than us, and call us a bunch of pansies. Go have fun in the mountains, get home safe and show us some pics, but stop with the attitude towards people just trying to be of some help.....

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the trip will help you. Be careful out there and plan accordingly to the weather especially. If you want to go back after the spring thaw hit me up and I will make the trip.

thanks, I would like to get a group trip together someday, I think It is an amazing place, I lived there for a year when I was In the army and this will be my eighth trip there since.
I've been having fun with the forum, but i actually do think that everyone should do something like this at least once in thier life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom