Is OK a stop and ID state?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Parking in an area like that is where a lot of crime happens. If not people having sex in public, it could be prostitution, drug meets, etc, etc. The cop was just doing his job and the privileged little punk mouthed off. A big part of personal responsibility is knowing when to be civil and keep your mouth shut. The cop asked for the ID to start with and the punk just kept getting louder and nastier. I would suspect he was on something or really stupid one of the two.

Being stupid is not a crime, although can be entertaining.

They answered the question, deer were in the area, LE should have moved on, regardless of what comment the guy said, then got feels hurt and decided to write a citation over a window sticker and go hands on, cause mean words.

Remember the constitution of the United States does not protect you from having hurt feels because someone thinks or believes differently then you or calls you names, should be lesson 1 to be a LE.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Title 47-6-112 Says that a license must be "Carried and Exibited Upon Demand". If this was a traffic stop that was initiated by a traffic violation, I'd say that the driver would have to show a DL. I didn’t see a traffic offense. I don’t know anything about their procedures or authority at the Lakes.

I think this Trooper is a member of the Lake Patrol. I don’t remember when it changed, but at one time there were different sections of the DPS. Highway Patrol, Capitol Patrol and Lake Patrol. Then one day someone decided that all of them would be merged to one title and called OHP.

Last edited:

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Parking in an area like that is where a lot of crime happens. If not people having sex in public, it could be prostitution, drug meets, etc, etc. The cop was just doing his job and the privileged little punk mouthed off. A big part of personal responsibility is knowing when to be civil and keep your mouth shut. The cop asked for the ID to start with and the punk just kept getting louder and nastier. I would suspect he was on something or really stupid one of the two.
Where is the crime? In order to require ID there needs to be a reasonable articulable suspicion of a crime being committed.

Freedom is scary, deal with it

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have become a nation of privileged, snot nose ******* who believe we should be able to do anything we want without consequences. This is a good example of it.

When I was his age we were polite to LEOs who are doing a thankless, dangerous job, and in turn they were polite back. Of course we opened doors for ladies and the elderly, took off our hats when entering a building, spoke with civility with each other or faced having the other person punch our lights out. If we saw a weaker person being attacked we helped them, not film it and post to Utube. Those were the days you could leave your doors unlocked and guns in your truck.

True there were a few bad cops, but there are always bad people in every profession. Bad lawyers, mechanics, plumbers, contractors, etc, etc, etc.

I miss those days and at times am glad I do not have that many years left to see what the younger people do to the country.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That can be scary because the prosecutors want a win no matter the innocence or guilt of the party.

Sure it’s scary. But when you start fighting the police, you aren’t going to win on the street. They’re just going to call a bunch more of their buddies in order to ensure that they “win”. What other recourse do you have but to take the ride and work with your attorney?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disagree.

Anyone in LE should have thick skin and not get their feels hurt when someone exercises their right to free speech.
If that person cannot handle "mean words" then that person is not fit to be a officer.

Deer watching is not a crime.

Being in a public area is not a crime or suspicious.
I'm not gonna disagree with that, but I absolutely hate it when someone pokes the bear until it responds, then cries like a little ***** and claims victimhood.

But maybe that's just my programming as an older brother.

Also, if that was in the middle of the day on a week day, the chances of a vehicle's occupants being up to no good is pretty dang high, especially at that lake. East Norman is lousy with deer, so "deer watching" is a pretty convenient excuse, but it seems far more likely that they were there to watch the submarine races than the deer.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK fellers, I know y'all have been waiting with bated breath or is that bait breath, I never get those right. Anyway, here is y take.

Oklahoma used to have a resisting arrest law that specifically stated even if the arrest is unlawful, you cannot resist. This 2016 version simplifies the statute.

Now 21 OK Stat § 21-268 (2016)
Every person who knowingly resists, by the use of force or violence, any executive officer in the performance of his duty, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

R.L.1910, § 2151.
-------------------

MR trooper needs some anger management and escalated the situation. I would love to see his report and read the way he articulated his way out of that one.

Mr. trooper backing off after going hands on and refusing a supervisor was in my opinion an admission in his mind he screwed the pooch and from that point on, he was just there for the ride.

When have you ever seen a trooper back off like he did?

The PD officers and the deputy were under color of law, got one side of the incident and were determined to affect the arrest. Calling the guy a bich just exacerbates the situation even more and could draw them into any future lawsuit. If they had just arrested the guy without the verbal abuse, they would have been in the clear as far as the arrest is concerned.

Come on all of you officers! Be professional! Follow policies and procedures. They are in place to protect you.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna disagree with that, but I absolutely hate it when someone pokes the bear until it responds, then cries like a little ***** and claims victimhood.

But maybe that's just my programming as an older brother.

Also, if that was in the middle of the day on a week day, the chances of a vehicle's occupants being up to no good is pretty dang high, especially at that lake. East Norman is lousy with deer, so "deer watching" is a pretty convenient excuse, but it seems far more likely that they were there to watch the submarine races than the deer.

I agree, thats were stupid turns into entertainment.

But at the same time LE needs to have thicker skin from words.

I disagree in part about the middle of the day and folks being up to no good.

Example I have been off all week. Nice relaxing week. I spent some time at the local park walking the trails. Theres a 1 mile trail and 1-1/2 mile trail. I try to walk there due to the scenery, its safer than the road and its part of my weight loss plan. I walked several days this week, mid morning, does that mean a officer could have stopped me and said its suspicious?

Its a public park, folks hang out at parks. As long as a person is there during the times allowed, most parks have curfew hours, there should not be "reason to stop" just by being there in the daytime.

Common sense needs to prevail.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Title 47-6-112 Says that a license must be "Carried and Exibited Upon Demand". If this was a traffic stop that was initiated by a traffic violation, I'd say that the driver would have to show a DL. I didn’t see a traffic offense. I don’t know anything about their procedures or authority at the Lakes.

I think this Trooper is a member of the Lake Patrol. I don’t remember when it changed, but at one time there were different sections of the DPS. Highway Patrol, Capitol Patrol and Lake Patrol. Then one day someone decided that all of them would be merged to one title and called OHP.

I don’t know anything about their procedures or authority at the Lakes.
OHP Lake Patrol Officers have full authority as other OHP Troopers but with additional duties on Oklahoma’s Lakes. Beneath U.S. Federal Law Enforcement Agents and with exceptions to US Government Property, Indian Lands and Foreign Embassies. they have full police jurisdiction over all Oklahoma cities, towns and counties, enforce Traffic Laws, U.S.D.O.T. Safety Regulations, engage in Drug Interdiction and SWAT Operations while they Patrol Oklahoma’s roads and highways. During 44 years while living in Oklahoma, I invariably found these police officers to be exceptionally intelligent, intuitive, caring, confident, competent and courageous. Their training and selection process is not complete until they pass through a probationary period ending one year after academy graduation during which time they’re evaluated by experienced troopers who weed out hot heads, idiots and those with personality defects that have a high probability of casting a shadow on the reputation and public perception of their organization. At significant personal risk, Oklahoma State Highway Patrol Troopers usually work alone. They’re honorable professionals whose duties are hazardous and complex. They should be rendered the respect due to the importance of the roll they perform.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad was being a mouthy dick as the LEO was leaving. That is what made the cop turn around and ask for his ID. At first the cop was polite about it but the guy was acting like he had something to hide. Outstanding warrants or tickets maybe. Whatever. If the guy had kept his mouth shut it would have ended when the cop went to leave the first time. Just because you have the right to be a mouthy *****, does not mean it is a good idea.
Would you say the same if an American was mouthing some North Korean police as they harassed him? I bet you would be waving the flag then and calling the guy a hero.

The dad was about as tacky as they come no doubt, but there is no justification for torture because someone hurt your feelings. If you watch the full vid, you will see him telling them he has a bad shoulder and ask why they are trying to hurt him and they respond "because you are not listening".

There were plenty of authoritarians willing to torture you if you didn't wear a mask of get your vax. Good thing they don't have quite enough control yet on a grand scale, but isn't it a tad bit disturbing that most if not all of these officers were probably republicans? What about free speech?

Again, I agree that the guy pushed his luck, but I just want to know if they law required him to show ID because he offended the trooper? The law is what matters and I don't want people who enforce it not to know it or make a mockery of it...that's not too much to ask. They have my full backing when they don't punish people for hurting their feelings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom