Ron Paul!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this story the other night and thought it goes right along with the current conversation. Why would these people work when they get paid more to sit on their ass? This is why I am against ANY extension of unemployment benefits.

http://www.news9.com/story/15423782/employers-cant-compete-with-unemployment-checks

OKLAHOMA -- While the president focuses on creating jobs, many Oklahoma business owners say they're having a hard time finding help.

They say people simply won't work for minimum wage. Two landscaping business owners said they come across many unemployed people who will not work for $7.25 an hour even in these tough economic times.

"This might not be the most glamorous job in the world, but it puts money in your pocket and food on the table for your family," said Colby Barrington of Farmers Touch Landscaping. He pays $8 an hour plus a productivity bonus, but can't stay fully staffed.

Barrington is not alone.

"That happens a lot , a lot of people on unemployment just want to make some money under the table," Brandon Jackson of Nature Boys Landscaping said.

Jackson has owned his lawn service for 12 years but believes lazy workers are a sign of the times.

"I guess if you are not the primary owner it's hard to dedicate yourself to come out in 106 and 109 temperatures," he said.

Prospective employees tell him it is easier and more lucrative to stay at home and collect a check than to weed eat or mow.

And the math is in their favor.

The maximum weekly unemployment allowance in Oklahoma is $392 a week. That's $20,384 annually.

Minimum wage workers earn $290 a week, or $15,080.00 per year.

A worker will make $5,304 more sitting on his couch.

"It is easier to depend on Big Brother to support your family and put food on the table than to pull up your bootstraps and go to work and earn a living," Barrington said.
This is a sad reality, I have a buddy who was in the same boat, unemployed but wouldn't take a job making less than 12 bucks an hour because he said thats what he made staying home. He was still broke and i can understand wanting to not take a paycut but my principles wouldn't allow me to stay home if there was a landscaping job out there paying 8-9 bucks an hour. Its a dignity thing with me but I came from a different generation.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well after watching Ron last night on the CNN debate, I don't think we have to worry about him getting the nomination. Stick a fork in him, I think hes done.
And I like Herman Cain even more after that debate.
Perry scares me a little.
Huntsman is a dork - can we say that?
Bachman is...well, she has grit for sure.
Romney I just don't trust.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was strongly considering Paul as my vote. Even though we don't agree on some pretty major ideas, he seemed to be the only one that understands the troubles we have in Washington economically. His major drawback to me was some of his loony supporters.

Well, after watching him in the past two debates, I am completely certain that he is not getting my vote. His idea about cutting off AC to the troops tents in Iraq and Afghanistan to save 20 billion dollars is absolutely insane. He could have just as easily said "cut the AC off to the government buildings in DC" Instead he had to show his true colors. Last night he echoed what many of his extreme supporters said about 911 being our fault. I'm just glad he is getting these ideas out in the open for all to see.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it's insane how we're in 130 countries around the world. I think it's insane how the media treats Ron Paul. I think it's a great indicator that he is the change we need with corporations not ruling politics. I think it's insane that people would vote for anyone else besides Ron Paul. I think it's insane people have no idea what's in the Constitution.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I also think it's insane people believe America plays no role in how we're viewed around the world and that us pissing people off due to our foreign policy is is a complete impossibility and that this does also not play a role in what happened on 911.

LOL @ the idea that "they hate us for our freedom." That's biggest line of ******** I've ever heard. To think people believe it who can also vote is depressing.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also think it's insane people believe America plays no role in how we're viewed around the world and that us pissing people off due to our foreign policy is is a complete impossibility and that this does also not play a role in what happened on 911.

LOL @ the idea that "they hate us for our freedom." That's biggest line of ******** I've ever heard. To think people believe it who can also vote is depressing.

I second that, and am currently debating a guy on another forum on the same topic.

Mgarza_a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a sad reality, I have a buddy who was in the same boat, unemployed but wouldn't take a job making less than 12 bucks an hour because he said thats what he made staying home. He was still broke and i can understand wanting to not take a paycut but my principles wouldn't allow me to stay home if there was a landscaping job out there paying 8-9 bucks an hour. Its a dignity thing with me but I came from a different generation.

I can't get people to work and I pay double minimum wage.... I've had every kind come through my shop, shortly after they realized that turning a wrench could be hard work they fail to show. Then I get a notice saying they are filing for unemployment again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom