Tipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all of us can afford over $80 for meal and another $20 for a tip. We don't eat out very often, but when we do, there's 7 of us. That gets expensive real quick. Therefore we don't eat out often. I don't make much money at my job. In fact, most guys here would probably laugh at my salary. So I'm a chitty tipper. It is what it is. I can't pull money out of my ass.

I'll bet you're not honest enough to tell the waiter or waitress you're a chitty tipper lol.....

In all honesty I'm fine with you not having enough to tip, others make up for it and you don't go out often as you say.

But it's the common phrase that is just douchey and hypocritical. "ThEy KnEw WHaT thEY weRE geTTinG iNto wHEn tHEy SiGNeD uP!!" It's just a bullchit excuse...... and Nobody sure as chit goes up to a cop's family after they got shot and says....... well.... they knew what they were getting into when they signed up...... OR..... when they say they don't make enough........ well..... they knew what they signed up for.....

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread has me thinking I need to be more deliberate with my tips. I pretty much do 20% for everyone that isn't downright terrible. Maybe I need to adjust to the level of service more. Ie match mediocre service with mediocre tip and excellent with excellent.

I unanimously pass the resolution and will implement poste haste.

Concur, that’s a good way to tip.

I’ve been doing it for a while, but there are things I probably need to change. The 1 or 2 ¢ or two bit tips would probably send a better message. (like anyone actually knows what 2 bits is anymore, or what a 2 bit tip actually means)

Here’s the thing though, it’s been a while since I got really ****** service. I think everyone that is actually working now really needs the job, and they’re putting in the effort. Which brings me to another point; if they’ve gotten off their ass and gone to work, that deserves my thanks and consideration when leaving their tip.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll bet you're not honest enough to tell the waiter or waitress you're a chitty tipper lol.....

In all honesty I'm fine with you not having enough to tip, others make up for it and you don't go out often as you say.

But it's the common phrase that is just douchey and hypocritical. "ThEy KnEw WHaT thEY weRE geTTinG iNto wHEn tHEy SiGNeD uP!!" It's just a bullchit excuse...... and Nobody sure as chit goes up to a cop's family after they got shot and says....... well.... they knew what they were getting into when they signed up...... OR..... when they say they don't make enough........ well..... they knew what they signed up for.....

In my hometown, about all we have is Sonic and McDonalds. Why would I tip the kid at the drive-thru that takes my money? If the weather is bad, I will slip a buck or two to the carhop at Sonic.

About once a month or so, my whole fam damily goes to Sam's in MWC. While we're there, we usually go to Chilis or maybe CiCis Pizza or something like that. Never the kind of establishment that most folks here consider a "nice" place.

Like I said earlier, I'll usually tip 10% of the tab. That used to be pretty standard. But nowadays seems like everyone is wanting 25% or more. That's just more than I can spend after paying usually 80 bucks for a meal that probably didn't cost over $30 to prepare.

Like I said, yeah, I'm an azzhole, but I just can't afford to feed 7 people and give the poor, destitute waitress 20 bucks too. My 10% will just have to suffice. A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. Y'all just hate away. I've been called a helluva lot worse things than "cheap" or "tightwad."

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my hometown, about all we have is Sonic and McDonalds. Why would I tip the kid at the drive-thru that takes my money? If the weather is bad, I will slip a buck or two to the carhop at Sonic.

I'm not sure why you think I'm talking about Sonic and McDonalds? That's fast food, not eating out.

About once a month or so, my whole fam damily goes to Sam's in MWC. While we're there, we usually go to Chilis or maybe CiCis Pizza or something like that. Never the kind of establishment that most folks here consider a "nice" place.

I don't think CiCis has waiters...... Chilis probably has waiters that are used to getting 10%.... poor bastards lol.

But nowadays seems like everyone is wanting 25% or more.

I think you're exaggerating a bit here. Never seen anyone expect 25% even in high end restaurants.

That's just more than I can spend after paying usually 80 bucks for a meal that probably didn't cost over $30 to prepare.

and there you have it..... if you have a grudge against going out..... then don't go out to eat. Waitstaff have nothing to do with margins. I'll also say that a vast majority of restaurants run on MUCH thinner margins than that, even with the cardboard pizza from Cicis or all the frozen food from Chilis.

Like I said, yeah, I'm an azzhole, but I just can't afford to feed 7 people and give the poor, destitute waitress 20 bucks too. My 10% will just have to suffice. A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. Y'all just hate away. I've been called a helluva lot worse things than "cheap" or "tightwad."

Well it's a good thing that "destitute" servers will have others to subsidize their efforts for a "destitute" individual that can't tip because he needs to feed his 7 family members. Honestly, it's no big deal, the places you go don't really even seem to have waitstaff. However, you need to spend about 10 minutes working in a restaurant as you have quite a skewered and unrealistic view of how things work.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got your tip.
i tip my house keeper about once a week, she lets me poker with the tip

edit; also this is why I go to Braums for my "fast food"
food is less costly and I don't have to tip.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First haircut after I moved to the middle of nowhere, went to the local barber who is an old-school old dude. I tipped him and he seemed very confused by it. I guess nobody here tips him?
I think it was $19 and he'll shape up your beard without an extra charge too.
The rule of thumb on barbers, beauticians, etc, is you tip the employees, but not the owner of the establishment, so if he's an old school barber, that's probably what he's expecting.

It doesn't stop me from tipping whichever barber cuts my hair, though.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First haircut after I moved to the middle of nowhere, went to the local barber who is an old-school old dude. I tipped him and he seemed very confused by it. I guess nobody here tips him?
I think it was $19 and he'll shape up your beard without an extra charge too.
Yeah those old school, small town barber shops don't see too much tipping for some reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom