Diet cola poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you seen a skinny person drink Diet Coke?

• Yes

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We'd all be better off if we completely eliminated sodas of all types, with and without sugar, completely from our lives.

I switched to the "zero" type of sugar free sodas a few years ago. They don't spike my sugar but I have gained weight. I'm not a total fatass, just got that late middle-aged dad bod, I guess.

But my weight gain isn't due to diet drinks. There aren't any calories in them so those alone are not the cause for weight gun. Mine is due to overeating...and not necessarily bad stuff. I just have a problem with portion control. I don't sit down and have a few chips or a few pretzels. I wanna eat half the damn family-sized bag.

Between my lack of discipline with portion control and reduced activity due to various reasons, my weight's gone up a bit. In the fall/winter of 2020/2021 I lost 65 pounds...down to about 188. I've now gained about 15 of those pounds back and hate it.

I've read that artificially sweetened foods actually cause a person to want to eat more sweets. Basically, the artificial sweeteners don't provide the energy boost that sugar does. So the body continues to ask for more and more sugar to get that energy. At least that's how I understand it...the Reader's Digest version.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drink diet Dr. Pepper a majority of the time. Diet Coke when that isn't available.
Have been for 30 plus years.
I'm still a slender guy. But it is catching up to me. It may be an age thing. But now I weigh 25 lbs more than I did when I was in college.
I've been out of school for 24 years, so 1 lb a year it's bad.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A doctor told me the body sees the diet soda as sweet but not sugar and does not respond to it like a calorie rich sugar soda.
Then when you get the real soda the body was used to the diet and treated the sugar soda the same way and treats other sugars the same way.
Not metabolizing them correctly.

I do not know.
I do not like diet crap.
I had a 30" waist a few years out of high school.
I had a real soda and a snickers and a sandwich loaded with onions and tomato and lettuce for lunch every day and some nuts.

I thought ya know I should trade this soda and candy bar for 2 pieces of fruit.

Guess what happened.
Less than 6 months of that I was up to 34" waist.

Fruit will fatten you up quick like.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WARNING ..PARTIAL SATIRE!

I voted no. Here is why, even a rail thin person who is drinking Diet anything was once HUGE, and that's why they still drink diet xxxx. So even if they are skinny they are really just in relapse of being huge😁

I detest most all sodas and couldn't tell you when I last had one, but I'm still a fat a** so maybe can't blame soda one way or the other. I can say this I know a person who drank diet coke for years, and a lot of it. They started having very static heart rhythm. They tried a bunch of stuff medically and nothing was working. This person read "somewhere" (interwebs) that a Dr. In Sweden had linked artificial sweetener to arrhythmic heart trouble. They quit the DC, switched to lemon water and after a month all troubles went away. Now was it because of better hydration, maybe, was it mental, could be, but they are now a true believer and you know how that goes!😁

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have one Sprite Zero once a day but have been switching over to a lemon-lime or lemonade water enhancement.
An ounce and a half of Makers Mark as a “topper”.

IMG_3384.png

I too battle with portion control. Still eating like I was still working for a living.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We'd all be better off if we completely eliminated sodas of all types, with and without sugar, completely from our lives.

I switched to the "zero" type of sugar free sodas a few years ago. They don't spike my sugar but I have gained weight. I'm not a total fatass, just got that late middle-aged dad bod, I guess.

But my weight gain isn't due to diet drinks. There aren't any calories in them so those alone are not the cause for weight gun. Mine is due to overeating...and not necessarily bad stuff. I just have a problem with portion control. I don't sit down and have a few chips or a few pretzels. I wanna eat half the damn family-sized bag.

Between my lack of discipline with portion control and reduced activity due to various reasons, my weight's gone up a bit. In the fall/winter of 2020/2021 I lost 65 pounds...down to about 188. I've now gained about 15 of those pounds back and hate it.

I've read that artificially sweetened foods actually cause a person to want to eat more sweets. Basically, the artificial sweeteners don't provide the energy boost that sugar does. So the body continues to ask for more and more sugar to get that energy. At least that's how I understand it...the Reader's Digest version.
That sounds like menopause ... 😉😁

And yeah, I can vouch for the craving more sweets thing. When I'm not drinking diet drinks ... So nothing but water, unsweet tea, or black coffee ... A cookie is safe in this house. When I'm drinking Diet Coke I will beat your ass if you eat the last cherry PopTart and I don't have something sweet eat when I wake up in the mornings!

Latest posts

Top Bottom